Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2024, 6:00 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I have no preferences.

There's a time and place when I'm disabled or not or something more...

I can only decide if it's offensive to me, and I can make do with everyone else's contexts and contend with their perceptions.
I even know how to make do and play around everyone's perceptions in disabilities.

There will be factors and reasons, internal and external, why I'm more or less capable than an average person in a moment, in a situation, in certain days, in certain periods of time or event.

And I'm able to play both pros and cons of either/both.
I'm privileged to have the power of when and when not to disclose.

In any case, I make do with what I can or cannot have in the now.
Only I can judge if I can or cannot unless there are observers who do know better.

Only I am responsible if can communicate if I have certain needs or not; and I can establish dynamics and those in the know -- everyone else have a choice whether or not to put up with it and I can make do with their choices, too.

I have the privilege to be socially flexible and knowing countless factors.
That is why I can afford to say that I have no preferences of either; because I can do either and both.

I am aware that not everyone is the same.

That many do not necessarily have the right time (their situation, their circumstances, etc.) or place (other people, the communities, and their attitudes/awareness/knowledge/culture/etc.), or if individuals themselves have certain experience, perceptions, mindsets, attitudes, beliefs, knowledge or ability...

Your personal experience is a valuable way to put it. We albeit looking able in some ways, we may struggle in other areas. And I understand this feeling. I appreciate your response. Hope you have a good day! Cheers buddy

Self-stigma is real and exists because of how we have been conditioned to believe that everyone has the capabilities like NTs.

Healing is a journey, not a straightforward process

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2024, 6:02 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I view my own autism as a disability. I use the terms to describe autism both ways, I am autistic, I have autism.
PS I am also diabetic and I have diabetes... I don't get offended at different usages, we are all OK to choose the ways we express ourselves.

This is true. Everyone has their own ways of expressing themselves and that’s okay. The more people listen to how others present themselves, the world would be a much more peaceful. Thank you for your response. Cheers buddy!

Self-stigma is real and exists because of how we have been conditioned to believe that everyone has the capabilities like NTs.

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2024, 6:04 pm

DanielW wrote:
The term "differently abled" was first used when PC folks decided that disabled was embarrassing word to use in public and thus shameful. I don't think being disabled is anything anyone needs to be ashamed of. "differently abled" is rather patronizing. Like "handicapable" replacing handicapped.

So it really depends on whether or not you are ashamed of yourself or someone else I suppose.

This is a good way of putting it out there. There is nothing to be embarrassed of our differences and that instead it should be taken seriously (maybe a little celebration!). Thank you for taking your time to respond. Cheers buddy!

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2024, 6:05 pm

Double Retired wrote:
My problem with the term "disabled" is it sounds so absolute.

If the radio in your car didn't work you wouldn't call the car a "junker". You'd say the radio was busted.

Same with my Autism. Mostly I'm fine. In a few ways I'm different from the NTs and they have decreed that means I have a disorder. You are only well if you are like them.

But that logic can be used in the other direction, too. Before I knew I was Autistic I had concluded that people, in general, were messed up. I thought we'd be better off if more folk were more like me.

And I could not keep a straight face telling a judge that I was "disabled". My college and professional records say otherwise. I'll go as far as conceding I'm different.

I value your opinion. It is true we are all different in our own way. Each of us has our own preferences on view of our autistic experiences. Thank you for responding! Cheers buddy!

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2024, 6:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm disabled by my neurotypical environments.
I can't tolerate the overstimulation on my senses or the social expectations.

I consider it a disability / disorder because it affects all aspects of my life.
That's the definition of a disorder.

It doesn't mean I have no redeeming skills or qualities.
I'm "differently abled" in a good way, in some respects.

That doesn't change the fact I can't function in an NT world.
I require significant support just to leave the house.

I appreciate your responses. This is quite true for some/many of autistics out there and it does not invalidate each and every experience they had. Hope you’re having a great day! Cheers friend!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 3:27 pm

I wasn't given a "severity" number with my diagnosis, but when I asked how autistic I was, they said my scores were about halfway between not ASD and as ASD as it gets, so I presume my "severity" is around the mid-point. Hard to tell from my personal experience because so much depends on the environment at the time.

In a crowd of competitive, judgemental, mainstream NTs I would probably look and feel quite disabled. In a small group of kind, open-minded people, I'm more likely to look and feel able-minded, sometimes unusually so. And I suspect I've been very lucky in life. I have certain analytical and personal strengths, and the people I've mixed with mostly have been fairly good to me, so on the whole I've been able to weather most of the storms that life has thrown at me, so far at least. I have coping strategies that help me dodge a lot of the crap that flies around. I'm also not ambitious in the usual sense of the word, so I don't care that I'm not a member of what's often considered to be the elite. And I'm at least reasonably happy.

So overall I'd say I was more different than disabled, sometimes less able than others, sometimes more able, depending on the situation.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 4:34 pm

I don't know if I'm disabled or differently-abled or whatever but there are just some things I'm not able to do.

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2024, 7:09 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I wasn't given a "severity" number with my diagnosis, but when I asked how autistic I was, they said my scores were about halfway between not ASD and as ASD as it gets, so I presume my "severity" is around the mid-point. Hard to tell from my personal experience because so much depends on the environment at the time.

In a crowd of competitive, judgemental, mainstream NTs I would probably look and feel quite disabled. In a small group of kind, open-minded people, I'm more likely to look and feel able-minded, sometimes unusually so. And I suspect I've been very lucky in life. I have certain analytical and personal strengths, and the people I've mixed with mostly have been fairly good to me, so on the whole I've been able to weather most of the storms that life has thrown at me, so far at least. I have coping strategies that help me dodge a lot of the crap that flies around. I'm also not ambitious in the usual sense of the word, so I don't care that I'm not a member of what's often considered to be the elite. And I'm at least reasonably happy.

So overall I'd say I was more different than disabled, sometimes less able than others, sometimes more able, depending on the situation.

I am so happy for you for having very supportive people around. This is what everyone needs in their own life. And it’s true, what matters most is how you feel in the situation you’re in. Glad to know you’re doing well so far. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! Cheers!

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2024, 7:12 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I don't know if I'm disabled or differently-abled or whatever but there are just some things I'm not able to do.

And that’s okay. Whatever or however you are, your experiences are valid. No one is perfect, not even the NTs. Although we struggled more than they might in some aspects. Always know that your well being matters! Hope you have great days ahead! Cheers buddy!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 9:31 pm

eviifreon wrote:
I am so happy for you for having very supportive people around. This is what everyone needs in their own life. And it’s true, what matters most is how you feel in the situation you’re in. Glad to know you’re doing well so far. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! Cheers!

No problem. I didn't mean that my cup exactly run over with human support, but it's good enough. I shouldn't be too perfectionist about it, the human race being what it is. And my irritating self-reliance is legendary. Only the squeaky wheel gets oiled, and I rarely squeak, I just look for the oil can.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2024, 12:12 pm

I don't feel inferior. My subjective view is that my way of thinking and viewing the world is better than the average person's. So if everybody was like me I think that would be an improvement. But it's a disadvantage not to comform to the standard way of thinking. So in a way that makes me disabled to a certain degree.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 12:22 pm

BillyTree wrote:
I don't feel inferior. My subjective view is that my way of thinking and viewing the world is better than the average person's. So if everybody was like me I think that would be an improvement. But it's a disadvantage not to comform to the standard way of thinking. So in a way that makes me disabled to a certain degree.

I'm rather like that too. I have to keep reminding myself that mainstream people aren't inferior to me, and sometimes I have to stretch my imagination quite hard to do that.

eviifreon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2024, 5:58 pm

BillyTree wrote:

I completely understand your point of view. This is certainly true that if everyone sees the world better, things would have been more accommodating for everyone. Thank you for taking your time to respond! Cheers!