Tardigrades Could Extend the Shelf-Life of Humanity...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 1:06 pm

"Tardigrades Could Extend the Shelf-Life of Humanity, Study Suggests"

Quote:
Tardigrades, also known as water bears, are the undisputed champs at being awesome. These microscopic lifeforms are pretty much everywhere, they can pause their biological clock, and they can thrive in some of the harshest conditions imaginable—including outer space. Now, scientists from the University of Wyoming (UW) are investigating if some of the tardigrades’ biological gifts could help us humans.

In a new study published in the journal Protein Science, UW Senior Research Scientist Silvia Sanchez-Martinez and her team—which included scientists from the around the U.S. and Europe—discovered that tardigrade proteins could effectively slow down molecular processes when expressed in humans cells, which could be great news for those interested in slowing the aging process (and who isn’t).

These proteins are a tardigrade’s secret weapon. They form gels inside of the water bears’ cells, which allows them to enter a state of suspended animation, or biostasis. While in this state, tardigrades have been seen to be capable of surviving extreme temperatures ranging anywhere from -328 degrees Fahrenheit to in excess of 300 degrees Fahrenheit. And if that wasn’t impressive enough, they can also be irradiated several thousand times beyond what a human could withstand.

“Amazingly, when we introduce these proteins into human cells, they gel and slow down metabolism, just like in tardigrades,” Sanchez-Martinez said in a press statement. “Furthermore, just like tardigrades, when you put human cells that have these proteins into biostasis, they become more resistant to stresses, conferring some of the tardigrades’ abilities to the human cells.”

Of course, entering biostasis is one thing, but ideally you’d also want to exit such a condition once things returned to a more livable climate. Well, Sanchez-Martinez and her team also discovered that those protein-induced gels dissolve away in human cells once the external stress—whether extreme heat, cold, or some other life-risking situation—is relieved. The human cell then returns to its normal, tardigrade protein-free metabolic state.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 7:14 am

Water bears are smaller than most insects, but apparently they have proteins that...if swapped with human protein...could enable us to survive long journeys into space.

The problem is theyve already been trying to do this in labs...with human and water bear subjects hooked up to apparatus to swap proteins.

Here is some actual footage of the lab results.

https://youtu.be/HnvUJuypnts

https://youtu.be/cHA3Kl1yTPI

Last edited by naturalplastic on 04 Apr 2024, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:46 am

:duh: Hmmm...maybe this is why some people bug me...