How did you meet your partner(s)?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 3:08 pm

Since how to meet people for a possible relationship seems to come up a lot, I thought it might be useful if the members who have or have had partners would say how they met them.

Mine:
1. High school, and he was a friend of a friend.
2. College. We had classes together and it was art school so there was a lot of interaction in class.
3. At a bar but it was a bar where my roommate hung out every night and a friend of hers knew him. (This was a short term relationship.)
4. At a community center where I volunteered. I was arranging to have a garden put in and he volunteered to build garden beds.
5. At a small party at his house that was co-hosted by a mutual friend. (This was only a few months ago and I never thought I would meet a new partner ever again.)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 3:12 pm

Nice thread bee.

I met my current bf through my job. He was a client and we got on well. I don't usually meet people who I deal with through work but there was something special about him so I thought I'd give him a chance.

j_k
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Apr 2024, 3:31 pm

1. We were classmates and in a small study group. I missed cues for about a year and we started dating. Awful break up --in the sense i didn't see it coming and fell apart.
2. Met through a dating app. Became the most miserable years in my life. Awful break up, in the sense I moved to a hotel while it took over half a year for them to move out of my apartment.
3. Met at work....missed the cues for about a year again. Still together after 6 years, and by far, probably the most mutually-understanding relationship I've had with someone. Maybe not the happiest I've ever been in my life, but that's not because of our relationship, and I can work with that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm

bee33 wrote:
At a small party at his house that was co-hosted by a mutual friend. (This was only a few months ago and I never thought I would meet a new partner ever again.)

That's great news! I'm really happy for you, bee!

I met my partner in the waiting room of my osteopath, after I threw out my back in the bathtub.
I overheard a conversation he was having and joined in.
That's not like me, but I'd had some muscle relaxants and I was feeling no pain.

:lol:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 6:06 pm

1 - We had the same circle of friends in high-school.

2 - We had the same circle of friends after high-school.

3 - We started hanging out through a mutual friend, due to mutual interests

4 - We met due to a mutual interest in punk rock and nu-metal.

5 - We had the same circle of friends and coincidentally ended up in a few college classes together.

6 - We met due to a mutual interest in Filipino martial arts, and dancing / karaoke.

7 - We had some college classes together, and started hanging out due to a mutual interest in computer technology.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 8:13 am

Online.... :lol:

The only one coming to fruition was my current one.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:33 am

Met at college. Worked on a few projects together - not terribly well since we both had strong differing ideas. Platonic friends for 4 years, she used to come over to my flat in the evenings and eat my Jaffa cakes :x

I was always open to something happening between us and it almost did a couple of times but I was quite happy just to be friends with her. But after 4 years something changed for her and she made her move.

[oldmanvoice]And that was 20 years ago to this very day...[/oldmanvoice]

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm

Met at a dance club. I saw her sitting on a staircase besides the dance floor and asked her to dance. She was only in town for the weekend visiting a friend. After a couple of minutes her friend interrupted the scene and said they had to go home. She asked me my name and we parted. I forgot all about it until a year later when we ran into each other at a private party. She was back in town visiting the same friend. She reminded me of our previous encounter wich made me a bit flattered. I lived nearby and asked if she wanted go home with me and drink some hard liquor. She went along but said she'd rather have some tea. After that we were married for 20 years.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 2:46 pm

First partner: high school
Second partner: online

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 5:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's great news! I'm really happy for you, bee!

Thank you Isabella.

And thank you to everyone who is responding to the post question.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm

I met all three of my partners on web forums. My first was a common interest & we were best friends before she told me she liked me. I met my second & third on this forum. My second responded to a post I made & she said she was wanting something similar & I asked in the thread if I could PM her. My third sent me a PM after reading lots of my posts & we're still together over 11 years later :heart: :D

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 10:14 pm

At his group home when I visited with Day Program

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 6:24 am

A couple years ago, I posted a comment in which I summarized how all my relationships started. I have been unable to find it, however this thread in the Adult section is about how first time sexual encounters happened. Most of those resulted in relationships of varying duration, so they would count as examples of what this thread is asking about. Be warned that there is discussion of sex in that thread. I will follow this up with a couple of examples that don't belong in the thread from the Adult section.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=407140

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2024, 10:30 am

As I can't find the post I wanted to share in this thread, I'll add a couple that are less interesting from a sexual point of view (although they should have been in the other post that I can't find).

The summer before I turned 29, a young women who had just graduated college (6.5 years younger than me) saw me around at the office where we both worked, apparently took a shine to me, and told her roommate she wanted a date. Although a couple of dates happened (in the traditional sense of "going out" on a date as opposed to the sexual implication) she and I weren't actually in a serious relationship until 2 years later, at which time we were no longer coworkers (although she wasn't herself opposed to dating a coworker). This didn't last basically because I wasn't neurotypical enough for her. Interesting note about this situation though, is she had attended a school in her state's university system that was traditionally all-female, and at the time was still not fully coeducational, and also had fairly average looks, so she wasn't accustomed to being hit on much by guys and apparently thought she should actively pursue guys she was interested in, and it took some time for her to admit to herself that I wasn't the right match for her (except physically :lol:).

When I first moved to the garden apartment where I was living when I met my wife, one of the neighbors (about 3 years older IIRC) basically just started hitting on me. For example, she would pay attention to when I got home and then call me to say some random thing, and would otherwise take every opportunity to chat me up and invite me to do stuff with her. Unfortunately, she had medical issues I wasn't ready to deal with (TBH I'm fairly certain had I been 10 years older at the time I met her, those wouldn't have been dealbreakers). Sad because she and I got along quite well.

The last example I'll cite was meeting my wife. I am some other younger people in the area had formed a Single's group which put on mixers. My wife came to one on the suggestion of her therapist. I asked her out, and after about 4 dates we became a couple. Definitely the most conventional courtship I experienced.

Note: before meeting my wife, I dated somebody else I met at the aforementioned mixers. I think I will post about that on the thread in the Adult section though.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2024, 12:03 pm

From a dating app. We met at a bar. Talked for a few hours, about all sorts of aspects of our lives (upbringing, job, values, plans for our future, goals, our flaws, challenges we have in life). We were both extremely honest to each other, and the fact that we both were positive about it, and neither of us judged each other, made us both comfortable.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Apr 2024, 12:30 pm

Through a mutual niche interest. He was involved with someone else, but there were some points of contention, for example his partner smoked. One weekend night he drove from a town an hour's drive away where they lived, hauled all his belongings from the car and moved into my place as they had finally broken up.

That was over 26 years ago.

The usual ways of meeting didn't work for me.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/