Why Do Some Leftists Love Fictional Villain Monarchs?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 6:52 pm

vividgroovy wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Using the term "leftist" pretty much saps any actual standing one might have. There is no such thing as leftism and as such no leftists.

As far as the topic goes, the key word here is "fictional." There's all sorts of fictional things that people like that they wouldn't care for in real life.

Leftist has become a slur, especially on right wing media outlets

Yep, I don't know that I've ever seen it used any other way and if I have it's been an outlier by somebody that doesn't know how to use it. It's sort of like how do of social darwinism isn't what s lot of people think it is.

May I ask that one of you create a seperate topic for what political terms you are and aren't allowed to use?

It's not so much that people can't use the term. It's more that it does carry unnecessary baggage which the poster I was responding to didn't seem to intend. And honestly, trying to keep track of that gets to be a full time job. I wasn't really expecting more than one post in response at most.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2024, 12:01 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Using the term "leftist" pretty much saps any actual standing one might have. There is no such thing as leftism and as such no leftists.

As far as the topic goes, the key word here is "fictional." There's all sorts of fictional things that people like that they wouldn't care for in real life.

Leftist has become a slur, especially on right wing media outlets

Yep, I don't know that I've ever seen it used any other way and if I have it's been an outlier by somebody that doesn't know how to use it. It's sort of like how do of social darwinism isn't what s lot of people think it is.

May I ask that one of you create a seperate topic for what political terms you are and aren't allowed to use?

It's not so much that people can't use the term. It's more that it does carry unnecessary baggage which the poster I was responding to didn't seem to intend. And honestly, trying to keep track of that gets to be a full time job. I wasn't really expecting more than one post in response at most.

I understand some terms come with a lot of baggage, which is why I avoid words like "woke," but when describing the general political direction ("Left") a trend seems to be coming from is regarded as "a slur," it becomes difficult to have a discussion.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2024, 12:10 am

I saw another YouTube video about "Wish" today. This guy said a few things I agree with. He said "absolute power corrupts absolutely" and he didn't see Magnifico as the reasonable king of a perfect society that was ruined by people getting their wishes back. However, he regarded Magnifico as representing "white cis het male patriarchy," the kingdom as "America" in "late-stage Capitalism" and Asha as the "Afro-Latinx" citizen who "asks the right questions," which I think is closer to the interpretation Disney intended. (I think they want to expand their audience by appealing to people who subscribe to that political ideology.) The target for this guy's outrage was Queen Amaya. I think Disney intended her as an empowering female ruler, but this guy said she represented "white Liberalism" and blamed her for not turning on her husband at the first warning sign, instead of like, 24 hours later when she did turn on him.

For better or worse, this is closer to the response to the film I would expect from the Left, rather than defending the tyrannical monarch character, as I initially thought they were doing.

These characters are probably the closest to blank slates Disney has ever produced, and the Queen especially, so it's interesting to me what people project into them, based on their ideologies. And disappointing to hear this guy judging them by their race/gender etc. Meanwhile, most of Magnifico's defenders are horrified that Amaya turned on him at all.