Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 10:13 am

Yup. But he was married with kids before he got it fixed.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 10:22 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Yup. But he was married with kids before he got it fixed.

He's rich he could probably afford it

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 10:55 am

Jamesy wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Well 5-6 years ago I talked to my GP about it and all he said was “It’s a big operation“ and “Your nose is defnintley broken“. He did not refer me to an ENT but just give me nasal drops.

Talk about unsatisfactory service/help right?

I take it that the nasal drops weren't at all sufficient, was there no option to follow up on it? And, I wouldn't assume a lack of care, any time you get anesthesia there's the possibility of things going very badly. Anesthesiologists have a very thin margin of error and even a minor mistake can be fatal. Not to mention the ones that are functional drug addicts.

It's really not my place to say one way or another as to whether you need the surgery or not, I'm not a doctor, I'm not you and I haven't seen a picture, but keep in mind that it being a big operation is advice worth considering, it's just not necessarily the whole picture. Especially if the broken nose is causing problems. I broke my nose and you'd never notice it most of the time, but it can get a bit misaligned at times in one direction.
BTDT wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/27/brexit-worsened-shortage-nhs-doctors-eu
This story suggest a big shortage of doctors working for the NHS.
Over 10,000 vacancies for physicians can't be good.

I believe in the USA the easiest way to get help is to claim an on the job injury and use workman's compensation insurance paid for by the employer.

But, there is a lot of fraud in that system. I heard a story of someone being disabled but working at a restaurant.
He got caught when his boss saw him working at that restaurant!

The circumstances of how you broke your nose may be a factor in getting proper treatment.

I'm not sure that the fraud is really that common, folks say the same thing about unemployment and the fraud there is like 3%, not even really worth all the effort that's put into discouraging it.

But, as annoying as the US system is, if you've got the money, there's pretty much always somebody available to do the work. Right now is a bit of an anomaly as in there is a bit of a shortage from the doctors that retired suddenly due to the pandemic and it will take time to rebuild.

I have been under anaesthesia a few times

People usually survive just fine, but it is always risky as general anesthesia takes people very close to being completely dead and it doesn't take much to go from almost dead to pining for the fjords.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 11:01 am

General anaesthesia is indeed risky. I have read that there can be side effects too, such as an increased risk of dementia, though on balance, the scientific evidence doesn't make any strong connection between the two, at least, not yet.

It can be hard to wake people up from general anaesthesia sometimes.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 11:19 am

I have been under general anesthesia 4 or 5 times

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 1:09 pm

This is a response I get on Reddit

“They did the same to me, I just told them the drops aren't helping and after much back and forth they put me on the waiting list for a septoplasty. I can't tell you how much better it is just to get the surgery. I had to stay overnight for recovery and I had complications with my surgery as my surgery wounds refused to heal and I was constantly bleeding out so I had to spend another night there after being caurterised by med students and having a giant guas shoved into my nose. Still worth the pain and hassel as I can breathe clearly and it did rectify my nose shape somewhat despite not being a cosmetic surgery”