Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

The Searcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2024, 3:39 pm

Hello everyone. I got my diagnosis of high-functioning autism and would like to learn more about it so I can navigate through life better. I currently have an interest in existential studies ranging from different perspectives. I study things like phenomenology and existentialism, though I do not consider myself an existentialist. I do believe we have a purpose in life, but I really did not see it clearly until I read "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor and Lost in the Cosmos by Walker Percy. After reading their works along with other literary works like Lord of the Rings, Don Quixote, and The Brothers Karamazov, I decided to write my own story that I hope would one day become a game. Granted, I tried to ask for help on Discord, but I quit twice because the people there were very strange, which helped me put jokes in my story where the main character wonders if he is slow or everyone just happens to be plain weird. The story was in fact what helped me realize I had high-functioning autism because I based my characters off from personal experiences and noticed later how each character suffered a condition that Aspies claim to have. So, I accidentally created autistic characters without knowing, and my story became an Aspie story, even though the story is not about autism, but something deeper. Plus, I have other hobbies like reading philosophy, political theories, economic theories, history, education, psychology, and especially religion. Basically, I read anything regarding the social sciences with some literature in mind. Well, that is all I have to say about myself.

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2024, 4:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 5:36 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find the company here to be good.

And, regarding the average person out there...I think the majority just happen to be plain weird

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2024, 7:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

:alien:

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2024, 9:13 am

Welcome! (to the wrong planet)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 9:59 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Another term for High Functioning Autism is Asperger's Syndrome or Aspie for short.

In a way, you introduction shows me that you are very skilled and trying to figure your own way in this world. So just realize that you are different. Some may call you damaged but they are wrong. You have many unique skill sets that most NTs do not possess. Trust in yourself.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 1:49 pm

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 2:32 pm

Welcome to WP! You have some very intriguing and interesting interests!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 4:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2024, 3:33 pm

Welcome to WP!

One thing to note about the phrase "high functioning" is that it's not 100% accurate, which is why it's not used much anymore. If that is the term they use for you in a recent diagnosis, be aware this suggests they're not fully up on the latest research and understanding.

There will be times that you can seem almost 'normal', and other times when you might be more affected or even non-speaking, for example. Does that make you Level 1 or something else? Well, it depends on the day and the circumstances. Some people are more consistent in how they function in the world, and for them a diagnosis of a given level is straightforward, but you might find you're mostly Level 1 but sometimes need the support as if you were Level 2, say.

So, you're at the start of the journey to understand yourself and how you navigate the world. Hopefully this forum will be part of that journey for you.