Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2024, 10:47 am

Four injured in stabbing attack at Assyrian church in Australia, man arrested

Quote:
Four people were being treated for “non-life threatening injuries” after a stabbing at a live-streamed church service in Sydney, Australia, on Monday, the latest knife attack to rock the city.

Australian police said they had arrested one man, after a member of the congregation at an Assyrian church rushed at the dais and slashed at the bishop, causing pandemonium.

Verified video of Monday’s attack was taken at the Christ the Good Shepherd Church in Sydney’s western suburb of Wakeley.

The neighborhood is a hub for Sydney’s small Christian Assyrian community, many of whom fled persecution and war in Iraq and Syria.

Police attempted to control angry crowds gathered outside the church after the attack, demanding the suspect be brought outside, according to a witness.

A journalist from AFP at the scene saw projectiles being hurled, before police with riot shields and armor pushed the protesters away from the church.

“He has been removed from the church and taken to an undisclosed location,” police said. They urged the public to avoid the area amid “a large police response.”

The Christ the Good Shepherd Church holds a Bible session every Monday evening.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman