Page 1 of 22 [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 11:24 pm

As many of the major posters in the PPR have already noticed they've been sent a PM from me asking for a one day ceasefire on all religious topics.

It's all about what the PPR used to be - this used to be the websites best and brightest forum, a shining example for all to follow.

But look at it now, people ripping apart each other for no good reason!

We're humans, we can be decent for a day, right?

So basically, everyone who supports the one day ceasefire stand up and be counted.

Last edited by Flagg on 27 Aug 2007, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

24 Aug 2007, 11:30 pm

Count on me!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 12:39 am

Works for me. I'm a big fan of standing up and speaking my mind, but I'm no fan of disrespect. I'd enjoy a sabbath.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 12:59 am

Ragtime wrote:
Works for me. I'm a big fan of standing up and speaking my mind, but I'm no fan of disrespect. I'd enjoy a sabbath.

Good, it's been lord knows how long since we all had a decent, civilzed debate. I'm hoping this helps everyone cool down a little and be a little more kindly to their fellow member, we've been beating on each other too long.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 1:03 am

Ragtime wrote:
I'd enjoy a sabbath.

I guess I will be getting back to my "roots", lol

I think that would be the best thing to do.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

25 Aug 2007, 10:14 am

I stopped being an evangelistic atheist several months ago. For
the simple reason its largely driven by the same emotion and
illogic that religion is. I define my atheism as the lack of belief and not a set of beliefs I need to sale to the world.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:15 am

As I said in my PM, why not? See what else we can talk about. Besides, it's silly to be fighting anyway.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

25 Aug 2007, 3:20 pm

So, when is this day?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 8:29 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
So, when is this day?

R we having it/fun yet?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 8:49 pm

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 4:30 am

All seems well at the moment... carry on.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 6:42 am

A bit odd when the Christians and Atheists agree on something. :) But I suspect we're the older lot, for the most part.

I'm on board. Just say when.

18:33. Press 'Return'

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 7:43 am

Well, seeing as I was sticking up for the religious side, which always sees the worst attacks from Atheists... I'll stop fighting for the duration of the truce.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 7:59 am

Have you noticed how a thread that is just atheists or just religious has very few people interested in posting? Kind of suggest the love of conflict is greater than the love of one beliefs or the lack of belief. I think the days for this subforum are numbered.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

26 Aug 2007, 12:10 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Have you noticed how a thread that is just atheists or just religious has very few people interested in posting? Kind of suggest the love of conflict is greater than the love of one beliefs or the lack of belief. I think the days for this subforum are numbered.

I don't think this subforum could/should be dropped. Inevitably in any community there is a demand to debate these topics. It is necessary to have this outlet in order to keep other subforums reasonably free of conflict.

What needs to happen is to have some very clear-cut rules that are consistently and fairly enforced. Knowledge seeking and debate need to be encouraged. Brainless provoking needs to be prohibited, perhaps with a zero tolerance policy.

There are a lot of curious thinkers and honest intellectuals around here and right now many of them are being discouraged from making quality posts in the ppr forum by the sheer futility of arguing with people who are just out to make fun of people or to feel superior rather than engage in earnest dialogue. I think Hadron made a very legitimate point yesterday when he said (don't remember in which thread) that it would have been a waste of his time to formulate and type out a decent post. Indeed, such a post would have been quickly buried in a pile of antagonistic nonsense.

I feel much the same way. I learned soon after joining WP that whenever I managed to engage a couple posters in a decent discussion in ppr, said discussion would be made difficult by people who are making a joke out of the forum.

This forum is necessary, but as is, it reflects very poorly on people with AS, for visitors to the site. It is my belief that we can and should transform this section of the forums into something we can be proud to call our own. We all know that changes need to be made. Now it's time to "walk the talk".

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 12:33 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
I don't think this subforum could/should be dropped. Inevitably in any community there is a demand to debate these topics. It is necessary to have this outlet in order to keep other subforums reasonably free of conflict.

I was thinking it was going to die on its own based on the theory I stated before: a lot of people really want conflict and If the moderators do not permit that conflict people will get bored of this subforum.