What if Nixon Era Satire Becomes Trump Era reality?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 8:02 am

What if the 45th POTUS actually ends up doing time? And we have to think the unthinkable about his actual incarceration?

For starters there are both the moral and the practical issues of Secret Service protection. The Secret Service, AND prison guards, stepping on each other toes in the confined space of a prison.

https://youtu.be/6zw5YVbEOJk

https://youtu.be/rBo7PBQ3YPQ

https://youtu.be/0pDdd6myPdk

https://youtu.be/i99u5905sQc

Granted if Trump does end up in the "big house" it will be a white collar prison, and not likely hard time in a real pen as depicted in the above classic comedy. But still.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 2:46 pm

I think due to the practical issues if convicted he will be sentenced to house arrest.

Nixon was perfect fodder for satire, no politician has come close since.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 4:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I think due to the practical issues if convicted he will be sentenced to house arrest.

Almost agree. But we had two close runner ups back to back. "W" and Bill Clinton. Both had foibles and peccadillos that lended themselves to satire. In contrast more bland figure like HW Bush, and Gerald Ford, are hard to satire. Obama was also hard to satire (he wasnt stupid, had no vices, etc).

We had the opposite extreme with Trump. He was SO over the top, so defiant of tradition of all decorum that you basically could NOT spoof him. Satire depends upon exagerration. As comic Lewis Black said-- with Trump reality exceeded satirical fantasy.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2024, 7:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Almost agree. But we had two close runner ups back to back. "W" and Bill Clinton. Both had foibles and peccadillos that lended themselves to satire. In contrast more bland figure like HW Bush, and Gerald Ford, are hard to satire. Obama was also hard to satire (he wasnt stupid, had no vices, etc).

We had the opposite extreme with Trump. He was SO over the top, so defiant of tradition of all decorum that you basically could NOT spoof him. Satire depends upon exagerration. As comic Lewis Black said-- with Trump reality exceeded satirical fantasy.

Lewis Black is my favorite stand-up comedian :lol: It's too bad he never did a "Black & White" tour with Ron White :P

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 11:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Ford? Chevy Chase found a way.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 11:32 am

I didnt say it was impossible. I said it was difficult.

Clinton's sex scandals, and W's malapropisms, were an endless fountain of life-giving water for comedians.

Dana Carvey did a great HW Bush. I could post one his vids, but...it wouldnt be...prudent! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 9:31 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Lewis Black is my favorite stand-up comedian :lol: It's too bad he never did a "Black & White" tour with Ron White :P

Team up with Tater salad?

Great combo of last names. An odd combo of comic styles. They are both about the same boomer age, ones east coast and Jewish, and the other is blue collar/heartland/redneck. They could also bill themselves as red and blue (as in the states). Interesting idea actually. You oughta write each of them a fan letter suggesting the gimmick.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2024, 9:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
SportsGamer35728 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Team up with Tater salad?

Great combo of last names. An odd combo of comic styles. They are both about the same boomer age, ones east coast and Jewish, and the other is blue collar/heartland/redneck. They could also bill themselves as red and blue (as in the states). Interesting idea actually. You oughta write each of them a fan letter suggesting the gimmick.

Unfortunately Black is currently on his retirement tour so too late :(