Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2024, 3:38 pm

I was always wondering is it a Aspie thing, that I don't want to really leave the house, and just want to be with my dog often? feel to overwhelmed by people and the outside, if I had my way I wouldn't even be in the suburbs, would be in a city like Santa Fe, that is open space

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 4:02 pm

I know how you feel; I love dogs (I have 2). If I had the power I would make it mandatory that all Aspies own some type of animal.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2024, 4:05 pm

I get overwhelmed by the ''outside'' or often end up getting upset, while I can at times hear my neighbors and see people walking in groups, a lot of NT's seem to for some reason enjoy all of that, while I also prefer to live out west open space or even just green hills open

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 4:46 pm

Yes dogs and open spaces.

One weird thing. I've lived in cities where I can hear people through the walls and if i looked out of the window all i could see was the bricks of the next house a couple of metres away.

But that was somehow less annoying than where i live now, in the middle of nowhere but with three other houses nearby (but a good 10m away). I hate hearing my neighbours here so much more than i hated them when we were really squashed together.

But yes, cities suck and dogs are awesome.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2024, 4:56 pm

I always supposed we are just not ''wired'' for a large amount of social interaction, yet the funny thing is I do want to date, but no commitments or marriage at all, I never understood how my aunt has to have almost 24/7 contact via cell phone, with her kids and grandkids, they are all almost a full time job it seems for her, she has no peace or solitude, but the funny thing is I think they all want to have constant contact, they don't seem annoyed or stressed in the least

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:18 pm

Yes to animals. No to humans or open spaces unless it's open water.

*Agoraphobe here*

flat_affect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2024, 7:29 pm

Sometimes I like having people around, as long as there is minimal interaction and they don't make a lot of noise. I miss taking the dog for walks :( I don't think that will ever change. Dogs sometimes make a lot of noise, but they're still easier to live with than people. So yeah, dogs > people.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 11:51 pm

For me the problem is about balancing attention for the animal with everything else I've got going on in my life. I've got a cat these days, and she doesn't like me being so busy. It worked better when there were 2 cats here, but one of them died. I'd get another one but they'd be unlikely to get on. She's fiercely territorial and the only reason she accepted the other one was that he was here first. But now she's here I'd hate to lose her. We're quite strongly bonded.

Animals are great but they aren't enough for me on their own. Humans can be hard work but if I were completely without them I'd be miserable. I never seem to get a happy balance somehow. I probably expect too much of life. Can't get it perfect.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 2:25 am

I love dogs and cats and I've been considering getting a cat, but for me, especially with dogs, I kind of feel the same way I do around people. Dogs look at you expectantly like you're supposed to do or say something, and I don't know what to say or do. And then I feel bad for disappointing the dog. With cats not so much, but it's a little like that with cats too. I don't think I know how to interact with animals.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2024, 11:52 am

I wish I still had my cat. I think she actually lowered my anxiety. Gave me something to look forward coming home to as well.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2024, 2:58 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
I wish I still had my cat. I think she actually lowered my anxiety. Gave me something to look forward coming home to as well.

Yes, this is what's so great about pets. They love you no matter what and they won't judge you or argue with you; they just enjoy having you there. They're like the exact opposite of people so it makes sense they lower anxiety when people raise it.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2024, 10:50 am

utterly absurd wrote:
ElmersTrueLove wrote:

Yes, this is what's so great about pets. They love you no matter what and they won't judge you or argue with you; they just enjoy having you there. They're like the exact opposite of people so it makes sense they lower anxiety when people raise it.

This just made me tear up. I feel like she d*ed hating me because due to high mysophobia I rarely pet her or anything... not in an abusive way before anyone attacks me. Just fear of contamination...

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:44 pm

I have been a critter lover all my life, always liked and understood animals better than people. Maybe because words don't get in the way?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2024, 3:51 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
utterly absurd wrote:
ElmersTrueLove wrote:

This just made me tear up. I feel like she d*ed hating me because due to high mysophobia I rarely pet her or anything... not in an abusive way before anyone attacks me. Just fear of contamination...

I'm sure she still loved you. Unless someone abuses a pet they will always just enjoy a person's company. It's a kind of perfect relationship two humans can never have, but a human and a pet almost always have. It's great you enjoyed your cat's company and I'm sure she enjoyed yours as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:29 pm

I've always enjoyed the company of animals more than being around people.