Do you ever wish that there was a country run by autisitics?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2024, 7:26 pm

Am really wishing that there was one right now.

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2024, 7:36 pm

Yes. I wish this all the time.

PineappleLobster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2024, 7:46 pm

That would be pretty cool

My pronouns are they/them and he/him

~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to send me a PM! :)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 7:49 pm

Nope.
At best, it's just another form of representative inclusionary stuff -- what I care about is the promises and if it's delivered.

More like I wish there are particular policies and cultural mores specifically or benefits autistics than the usual impeding ones.

I don't expect from people.
I do expect from systems and paradigms that people may operate under however.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 8:01 pm

No.

Nothing against autistics of course but they'd be pedantic, get hung up on tiny details, miss the big picture, have meltdowns, and disagree on everything because there'd be no hive mentality. They'd want everything a little too individuated which would cost a fortune in taxes.

It's hard enough in my house where everyone's autistic. It's difficult to be cohesive about anything.

There would be some good elements to it but I think the bad would outweigh the good.

Strong representation would be better, imo.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 8:13 pm

A country run by people with a shared neurodevelopmental disorder, about half of whom probably need support from other people and likely couldn't be in charge of anything significant in the first place?

It sounds like a recipe for success. :roll:

:lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 8:17 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
No.  Nothing against autistics of course but they'd be pedantic, get hung up on tiny details, miss the big picture, have meltdowns, and disagree on everything because there would be no hive mentality.  They would want everything a little too individuated which would cost a fortune in taxes. . .
You beat me to it.

Society would eventually break down because no one would be able to overcome their olfactory sensitivities long enough to even collect the garbage.  Same for filling potholes with hot, stinky asphalt.  Other sensory issues would inhibit maintenance of other infrastructure systems, no doubt.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 8:18 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
A country run by people with a shared neurodevelopmental disorder, about half of whom probably need support from other people and likely couldn't be in charge of anything significant in the first place?

It sounds like a recipe for success.
Your sarcasm in noted.

And spot-on!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
Society would eventually break down because no one would be able to overcome their olfactory sensitivities long enough to even collect the garbage.  Same for filling potholes with hot, stinky asphalt.  Other sensory issues would inhibit maintenance of other infrastructure systems, no doubt.

I thought the idea was a society run by autistics, not a society of autistics. If so, the NTs could be deployed for the smelly jobs. But my gut tells me something would go wrong. It couldn't be a democracy because the gov would be rather honest and therefore a NT party would win all the following elections. So it would have to be a dictatorship run by immense force. We'd have to be gods. Hang on, don't we often have a problem with authority figures? Hmmm........

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2024, 12:05 am

Fnord wrote:

I think this is a slight oversimplification. We don't all have the same sensitivities. Personally unpleasant smells are more tolerable for me than other sensory issues, to the point where I could probably collect garbage. People could be given jobs based on what they could tolerate.
It could also drive people to invent new ways to get around these problems, like a mask that filters out unpleasant smells.
I can see how it would run into some issues. But it's not like the NTs are doing a great job making society work either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 12:32 am

Fnord wrote:

I thought this is about country executives, not the whole society. :o

Well, there's the Peter's principle and the concept of having positions in the name only -- and it's counterpart that is leaders all but in name.

I don't imagined an overrun society being lead by autistics.
I imagined the most incompetent of all executives would just be another puppet amongst the long line of so called people who ran said country.

But if this is another hypotheticals of wishing a society of autistics...
There are a lot of assumptions to get to first;

Was it an entire single or few generations, assuming covers the current living ones, many, at any point, raised if not at least mistreated by NTs at some point, yet to establish their own cultural dynamics, or/and still clings to the NTs' models? With the current collective traumas? With the current generation chains?

Or was it already with generations of autistics, with hypothetical established ways of how relationships are taught, with hypotheticals on how the environment is made and to navigate, how the systems had been be created? With a new hypothetical context created with historical contexts? With it's own collective traumas? With it's own generational issues?

Among other factors, too -- does this exclude any autistics who cannot collaborate or excludes, say, particular traits like intellectual disabilities and unmanageable executive dysfunctions?
Almost no different from this world's history on disabilities, on survival and functioning in society.

Does it emphasized on the widespread issues or differences; whether it's developmental like the whole range of communication skills or something like favoring alexithymic traits, or romanticizing empathy over anxiety and fawning?
A lot of sensory emphasis here and there, but it's always all about external sensitivities -- and it does not state if the environment was the same as the present, will change or already changed.

All I see is simplistic exaggerations both too idealistic or too disastrous based on an individual's biases on how they experience their autism and judge autism itself. :lol: Even the The Aspergian Mythos and Ethos story.
So I don't see how this had to be taken too seriously.

I for one, do not care if a society of autistics ended up a utopia or an apocalypse or somewhere in between, or more.
The results about humans and humanity are both the same with me.

Any lonely soul, longing for peers, longing for a kinder world, are free to dream. :heart: :mrgreen:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

JamesW
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2024, 2:59 am

Speaking as one autistic person: I am a pure geek. I have no skills or vocation for management, either of people or of projects. You wouldn't want me running anything.

There is a God.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 3:26 am

It would be a total disaster. Too many accommodations would be made that the country wouldn't function anymore.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 3:30 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I thought the idea was a society run by autistics, not a society of autistics. If so, the NTs could be deployed for the smelly jobs. But my gut tells me something would go wrong. It couldn't be a democracy because the gov would be rather honest and therefore a NT party would win all the following elections. So it would have to be a dictatorship run by immense force. We'd have to be gods. Hang on, don't we often have a problem with authority figures? Hmmm...
In the ideal case, what we would end up with would be a gated and patrolled 'retirement' community for autistics, much like  Leisure World .

Worst case, it would be like any generic  warehouse  retirement facility for autistics . . . and schizophrenics . . . and people with dementia . . . eventually turning into the kind of facility described in the OP's video.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2024, 5:29 am

There are a lot of non-autistic people that are squeamish, stubborn, stupid, lazy, destructive or in other ways unfit to rule the country. In todays society the most competent neurotypicals are supposed to be in charge. In the same way a country run by autistics would be run by the most capable and intelligent purely autistic people, not by severly autistic people with a lot of comorbidities. In a country run by autistics and by autistic values I think it would be less likely that autistics unfit for the job would be conning their way into the top.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 5:49 am

I don't think segregating people by any attribute is a particularly good idea.

Not least because people seem to be almost endlessly divisible. You see this in any organisation - people group themselves by shared interest, shared endeavour or shared ideology and before long you'll have divisions within that group pulling in different directions. It's just human nature.

In an autistic society you'd pretty soon have different levels of autism defining themselves and then people saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be great if just us profoundly autistic people split off and made a country that perfectly suited us?"