Watching movie scenes with people doing dangerous stuff

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 4:55 pm

I would love you to tell me what your experiences with similar scenes are. I literally can't stand watching movie scenes presenting people facing difficult ordeals - I almost get sick to my stomach then. To show you what I mean by this - I'm a huge fan of Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" and when I was recently watching the " Eye of the Storm" episode of the TV series on Netflix, one with that horrible storm that threatened the safety of the ship of the main characters, I found it to be a really repulsive movie sequence to look at. I was waiting very impatiently for it finally ending (unfortunately it ended with another scary scene of Claire almost drowning, her almost lifeless body floating in the waters of the ocean).

I am repulsed also by the sight of someone leaning their head out of the window so far that there's a danger this person could fall out of said window - especially when the flat is located at such a high floor of the building that they could end up as a merely wet spot of blood on the ground :? . I also had a hard time reading "The Ledge" short story by Stephen King (if someone knows it, there's no need to explain what it is about) and watching the movie based on this.

Can you relate to this?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 5:32 pm

I find it scary sometimes, but not so scary that I feel bad. The scene that scared me most in "recent" years was in Blade Runner that I saw ca. 1995, when the robot was about to knock the protagonist off the edge of a tall building. I remember saying out loud "oh you bastards!" I was referring to the people who'd made the film, not the robots. So I guess that shows I knew it wasn't real. I gather people like scary movies because it allows them to experience fear in an environment where they know they're safe really. I guess I'm like that. It seems that belief happens at more than one level, so that we can believe something in one part of our minds but not believe it in another.

Sometimes I just don't find a scary scene's illusion convincing at all, in which case I usually think it's either boring or funny, but not scary. Johnny Psychology is a strange chap.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 7:14 pm

I deliberately avoid watching upsetting shows. I find it wrong and strange that while shows that are on TV won't show nudity they'll have a scene of someone being tortured. I don't understand how that is "entertaining." And how they aren't worried that a child or someone sensitive might come across it inadvertently.

I guess I'm a little confused by your post because if my reaction was as strong as you are describing I wouldn't watch those shows at all. I already try not to, but I don't think I would describe my reaction as being as strong as you are describing.

Many streaming services have a button that lets you skip ahead 10 seconds, and if something I don't like is happening, including when something bad might happen or something dangerous is happening, I skip ahead until it's over.