3 law enforcement officers killed while serving warrant

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 7:00 pm

NBC News

Quote:
Three officers with a U.S. marshals task force were fatally shot while serving a warrant at a home Monday in Charlotte, North Carolina, officials said.

One marshal and two local officers working with the fugitive task force were killed. One additional task force member and four officers with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department were also shot, officials said.

One of the wounded officers was in critical condition, officials said at a news briefing Monday afternoon.

In total, eight law enforcement officers were shot.

A suspect was also dead, officials said.

A fugitive task force was serving a warrant on a suspect in possession of a firearm by a convicted felon when the violence began.

The task force was serving the warrant about 1:30 p.m. when the subject of the warrant, who wasn't identified, began shooting with a high-powered rifle, Jennings said. Task force members returned fire and killed the suspect in the home's front yard.

A sergeant with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police was on the task force, but was not struck by gunfire, Jennings said. The sergeant called for backup, and that's when the four responding officers from Charlotte-Mecklenburg police were shot, Jennings said.

Police were eventually able to clear the home, Jennings said. Two people inside, including as a 17-year-old, were detained as persons of interest.

Officials believe two people fired at at law enforcement, Jennings said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman