Gérard Depardieu to be tried for sexual assault

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2024, 7:03 pm

BBC

Quote:
French actor Gérard Depardieu is to be tried over allegations of sexual assault, Paris prosecutors say.

The 75-year-old actor was summoned to a Paris police station on Monday morning, broadcaster BFMTV said.

He was questioned over separate allegations brought by women who worked with Depardieu on film sets in 2014 and 2021.

Depardieu was released from custody later the same day and denies the accusations, his lawyer said.

Shortly afterwards, prosecutors said Depardieu would appear in court in October over the allegations of assault in 2021.

"I confirm that following his custody... G. Depardieu has been issued a summons to appear before the criminal court," the Paris public prosecutor told the BBC.

"He will be judged in October 2024 for sexual assaults allegedly committed in September 2021 against two victims, during the filming of the movie 'Les volets verts'(The Green Shutters)."

One of the woman involved in the incident alleges the assault took place on the set of the film, which was released the following year.

Her lawyer told BFMTV that her client was "passing through a corridor where Mr Depardieu was sitting.

"He grabbed her, trapped her between his legs and touched her body up to her breasts.
"She felt completely powerless, incapable of escaping this trap."

In 2020, the actor was charged with the rape of actor Charlotte Arnould, when she was 22-years-old in 2018.

In its statement on Monday evening, the prosecutor said: "Additionally, G. Depardieu is under investigation (in another case) for the offenses of rape and sexual assault allegedly committed in August 2018 against Charlotte Arnould.

"The investigating judge concluded their inquiries on 17 April 2024, and forwarded the case to the Paris prosecutor's office to gather their recommendations on the next steps to take".
A separate case was brought by actor Hélène Darras but was dropped by prosecutors for being past the statute of limitations.

Depardieu has also been accused of sexual assault by more than a dozen women.
He denies wrongdoing and claims any relationships he has had were consensual.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman