Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:40 am

How long is the longest you have ever held a job? What was your job title? What was hard about the job?

What kind of job promotions have you had?

How old are you?

JamesW
Raven
Raven

01 May 2024, 3:15 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
How long is the longest you have ever held a job? What was your job title? What was hard about the job?

7 years. (It was supposed to be 6 months, but my contract kept getting renewed.) Software engineer. The hardest part was having to work in an open plan office; bright lights and audio-visual noise.

Quote:

None. Ever. I have neither skills nor vocation for managing either people or projects. Someone tried to promote me once, but I refused. I realised after many years that what I do is not a career, but a trade. That's the way I like it. The more experience I gain, the more I get paid.

Quote:
How old are you?

There is a God.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 6:08 am

I've been doing the job I do now for nearly 20 years, but not as my full time job. I always did it as a side job but it's only for the last 3 or 4 years it's been my only source of income.

The longest I held a proper job, when I had an employment contract was 4 years. I was a magazine editor. There was nothing objectively hard about it. I was left more or less to my own devices and I didn't have to talk to people if I didn't want to. I made it hard by being rubbish at it. I had to plan the magazine, commission the articles, collect them it, edit them, source images etc. But because I'm me, I'd do basically nothing for 3 weeks and then spend a week frantically putting the thing together to deadline.

In my first 'proper' job I was promoted quite rapidly until I was leading a team of 5 people to produce a monthly product. My promotion was less to do with my capabilities rather I was just in the right place when people left the jobs above my level. I embraced the promotions at the time because it was more money and felt like progress but in retrospect, every promotion took me further away from what I was good at and towards things I wasn't very good at like planning/project management and people management. I burnt out on that job after 3 years and was unemployed for the next 2. This is a pattern.

How old are you?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 1:52 am

How old are you?

I dont have a work history.I had only had one W2 job in my life and it was for only 1 month before I burned out.I have been unemployed for going on 10 years.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 7:27 pm

The job I'm currently working is the longest I've worked anywhere continuously. That's a little over 4 years. Although, I will be quitting in the near future as I've been treated extremely disrespectfully lately and key people in various departments are headed for the exits. I don't know for sure, but it's probably due to mismanagement.

The longest I've ever worked over all was 10 years for one of the local community colleges. But that was interrupted for prolonged periods of time during that stretch while I worked other jobs.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 6:02 pm

all the jobs i had, were the lowest ranking jobs in those companies. minimum wage, unskilled, not professional jobs, do not require a high school diploma, any old monkey. 41 years old. zero promotions. longest job, three years and five months and counting. Lot Attendant at home depot.

hard:

almost getting hit by a car a couple times a day

working outside in rain, thunder, lightning, hail

litterboxes:
often out of order
not enough toilets in the litterbox
code lock, customers keep asking me to unlock the litterbox. boss said, don't tell customers the code, you have to unlock it yourself. the only places in the building to wash hands, litterbox and breakroom. not enough sinks.
a couple years ago, a day laborer had the nerve to stick his paw under the partition and stomp on my foot, while i was on the litterbox.
customers often make the litterboxes gross.
litterboxes often occupied with day laborers and other low lives

many things to trip on, inside and outside

coworkers that act like mentally ill, convicted felons

rude managers, day laborers, and customers

customers have the nerve to touch me, scream at me, laugh at me, call me "Chino" and say "huh" and "what" instead of "excuse me"

ghettoass coworkers, no manners

off leash dogs

day laborers

tattletale tom micromanaging me

lazy boy steve, sitting around doing nothing half his shifts

head cashier LQ had the nerve to tell me to unlock the litterbox, when i was off the clock