Page 2 of 12 [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 3:55 pm

And once again, talking about sexual violence against women has been derailed by turning it into a discussion about self defense.

The bigger issue is a much more important issue, and it's the issue that the meme is about. This is another validation of the importance of the message of the meme and how no one apparently wants to hear it.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 5:07 pm

Leaving aside the obvious flaws in the "self-defense" suggestion (not everyone is capable of fighting, not all situations are fair, self defense takes years to learn and doesn't always work, even being a ninja master can't save you from being drugged, or ambushed with a knife or gun)...

DATING SHOULDN'T REQUIRE MORTAL KOMBAT TRAINING JUST TO NOT GET ASSAULTED IN A SUPPOSEDLY CIVILIZED SOCIETY. Nor should "fend for yourself" be an acceptable option to a problem (assault) which itself is not considered acceptable in a supposedly civilized society.

I don't get why "treat women better, and do something about those who don't" is such a difficult solution to see.

It's easy to say "fight back!" when you're not the one that has to do the fighting...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 5:29 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
I don't get why "treat women better, and do something about those who don't" is such a difficult solution to see.

It's not difficult at all, and it's a good wish. What's difficult is the "how to." But I say that at the risk of being wrongly thought a defeatist, or worse.

Frankly I'm beginning to wish I'd never heard of the bloody meme. Looking around, I see there's a lot out there about the dark side of Internet memes, and the one in question has been described as ragebait. The contents of this thread so far have tended to back that theory up, I think. Personally I don't think memes are a good way of promoting calm, intelligent debate. I think they're more a good way for their originators to promote themselves. I prefer issues to be discussed in the spirit of genuine co-operative inquiry. I hope this thread doesn't go completely South.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 5:31 pm

Self-defense is either not an option or would be ineffective in, perhaps, the majority of scenarios as those of us who’ve experienced sexual violence, including myself, know all too well.

It might seem simple unless you’ve experienced it yourself. People are drugged or otherwise incapacitated, threatened with weapons, overpowered by someone who is much bigger and stronger, are trapped in an abusive relationship, or are so terrified they freeze. The possibilities are endless. Most of the time attackers don’t attack someone unless they think they have a strong chance of success which is why weapons are so popular. If the person knows you, they’ll know how to prey on your vulnerabilities too. It’s easy to drug someone who already trusts you.

People need to stop engaging in sexual violence and harassment. Society needs to stop blaming victims.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 6:09 pm

Yes... the irritation being expressed is a result of emotional baiting, and not an actual problem that people actually face, like being assaulted... that's totally what's going on... :roll:

The fact that people refer to "treating women better" as a "wish" rather than a goal or an ideal is also disheartening. As for how to accomplish it, oh, I dunno, how about not enabling men who engage in this behavior by making excuses for them or giving them free-passes, or not normalizing blaming women for being victims of unacceptable actions committed by others, or even standing up to men who try to engage in such behaviors. Wow, that was so hard to think up!

If the way some men mistreat women is wrong, then it's everyone's social responsibility to do something about it. Or are we playing the "it didn't happen to me, so it's not my problem" game. If bad men are still allowed to commit violence against women, even in the presence of "good" men, then why should women feel safe around ANY men, if it seems like even the ones that won't assault them, won't do sh!t to stop the ones that will assault them.

Honest question - how many of y'all would interject into a situation where a woman was being assaulted or mistreated? How many of you would just sit there and do nothing, cos you "didn't wanna get involved" or it was "none of your business"? How many of you have ever stood up for someone other than yourself? How many of you don't even stand up for yourselves?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 6:09 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

It's not difficult at all, and it's a good wish. What's difficult is the "how to." But I say that at the risk of being wrongly thought a defeatist, or worse.

The how to is not really difficult, at least it's not difficult to know what should happen even it is difficult to somehow get society on board to implement it. (But you could say the same about getting people to learn self defense. If publishing a pamphlet on self defense is seen as useful, even though it will not convert most of society into learning self defense, then wouldn't publishing a pamphlet (or a meme...) about how women should be thought of and treated also be useful?)

1. Investigate and prosecute rapes in the same way that other violent crimes are prosecuted and investigated.
2. Believe women who have been sexually assaulted and treat them and their experience with respect.
3. Teach men not to commit sexual assaults and not to treat women as less than.
4. Teach men (and women) to consider women to be equal and just as valid as men.

These seem obvious but they are not happening. That's the reason why this meme exists.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 7:51 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
My wife decided off her own bat to carry a pepper spray in case she ever has to go through a dangerous place, which I think is wise of her. I just wish there were training sessions where she and other women could become conversant with the rapid, effective use of such weaponry. As it is, all I can do is advise her to try using it a couple of times so that she'd at least save a couple of precious seconds if she ever needs to deploy it in real life.

The majority of rapes don’t occur in places victims think are dangerous or necessarily by people who the victim thinks she needs to be wary of. Perpetrators probably often believe they’d have an easier time getting away with assaulting someone they already know than someone they don’t. Of course, if one is in the woods and there’s no one else around…

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/perpet ... l-violence

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 8:05 pm

Yes... the irritation being expressed is a result of emotional baiting, and not an actual problem that people actually face, like being assaulted... that's totally what's going on... :roll:

I think that the anger a rage-baiter triggers is usually genuine. But I don't think the result leads to a solution. I think it leads to polarisation on both sides, and the only winner is the rage-baiter.

Quote:
The fact that people refer to "treating women better" as a "wish" rather than a goal or an ideal is also disheartening.

OK, it's a good goal / ideal, if my choice of word makes that much difference to you. But I think you read too much into it.

Quote:
As for how to accomplish it, oh, I dunno, how about not enabling men who engage in this behavior by making excuses for them or giving them free-passes, or not normalizing blaming women for being victims of unacceptable actions committed by others,

But the problem is, how best to persuade the people who do those things to stop doing them. Shaming them into better behaviour? Rolling our eyes at them? I think they'll either scroll past the meme or hit back.

Quote:
or even standing up to men who try to engage in such behaviors. Wow, that was so hard to think up!

If the way some men mistreat women is wrong, then it's everyone's social responsibility to do something about it. Or are we playing the "it didn't happen to me, so it's not my problem" game. If bad men are still allowed to commit violence against women, even in the presence of "good" men, then why should women feel safe around ANY men, if it seems like even the ones that won't assault them, won't do sh!t to stop the ones that will assault them.

Honest question - how many of y'all would interject into a situation where a woman was being assaulted or mistreated? How many of you would just sit there and do nothing, cos you "didn't wanna get involved" or it was "none of your business"? How many of you have ever stood up for someone other than yourself? How many of you don't even stand up for yourselves?

Who knows what I'd do? I've only ever witnessed one assault in my life, which was on a male hippie. I was about to wade in, and my girlfriend physically dragged me away. She said the bully would have just assaulted me too. I remonstrated with her for a while. It's a sad fact of life that it's wise to choose your battles, but it looks like there's a bit of a tendency to be a gallant fool in my DNA.

A few years later some lone drunk was (relatively mildly) threatening towards my girlfriend at a bus stop, on her way home from my place, though no actual harm was done. After she told me about it, I took to accompanying her into town every time she went home from my place, and waiting with her till she was safely on the bus.

This isn't perfect, but I think it's a better start than a divisive meme:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... al-assault

Training. Self-defense and defending others.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 8:12 pm

The meme shouldn’t be divisive. Raising awareness or, at least, consciousness on this topic is extremely important, especially since, as has already been mentioned, self-defense is ineffective much of the time. Even if someone successfully fights off an attacker, it’s still a traumatic experience that can cause PTSD.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 8:42 pm

bee33 wrote:
It's not stupid. The point of it is to demonstrate that women have reason to be afraid of men, because if you are woman, a man you don't know, and sometimes one that you do, can physically assault you. Everyone understands that there is reason to be afraid of a bear, but most men don't understand that women have reason to be afraid of a man.

That some men attack and rape women is a fact. If it makes you feel bad, then act on it by helping to educate men and helping to hold those who rape accountable. There is still a huge gap in accountability of men who commit sexual assaults.

The pamphlet that gives women tips on how to stay safe is objectionable because it assumes it's women's responsibility to protect themselves against aggressive men rather than society's responsibility to protect women against these men, and that ultimately the responsible party is the man who commits a rape. The woman who is his victim is never the responsible party.

:heart:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 10:04 pm

On the streets? At night? On foot? And alone?

Even if it's in a middle of the woods;
I'd choose human. They don't scare me, they disappoint me. And I did not specifically chose man.

Bears are another different territory.

I really think that most of these stuff had less to do with self defense, and more to do with socialization crap.

In fact, it's actually easier to deal with midnight walks in the streets and anticipate assault, theft, or whatever, than to indict an acquaintance of a crime in a middle of some party after the fact.

On the streets, everything is actually a fair play when it came with violence and public norms are different than, say, social circles.

It's also easier to indict violent strangers.
It's also easier to tell traumatic stories that happens at 'dangerous times and places'.

How about forests??
That's an even fairer play, not limited to humans with little to no public rules and etiquette whatsoever.

In social circles, one is a little too involved in one's personal life; this also meant safety. This also meant self defense is less relevant.
This also can entail blackmail and manipulation.

Confrontations can be swayed in favor of the perpetrator. What if the perpetrator is someone from higher hierarchy? Would people believe her?

Especially within the family -- especially if it's something to do with preserving relationships and therefore the dynamics in mind.

I, for one, am aware of my local stats. I likely know when or when not am being stupid.

The fact that I'm well acquainted with the local division related to violence against women is just a cherry on top.

As for the meme and spreading awareness myself?
Eh. Sure, I guess.

Bears do not infiltrate your human social circles and use said social relationships to get away with sexual assault and the like. They don't blackmail or threaten people in any community involved.

They don't use laws in their favor, they don't use social norms and preconceptions between genders, they don't even use empathy against anyone.

And their proximity is usually not near the streets at night where it's still noisy enough to be at.

In the forest?
Bears might be just as afraid as you. They'd rather be left alone either.
As for men? Who knows. It's an even more complicated gamble. Maybe they're just as afraid, maybe not.

And frankly -- I think there's should a better way to convey awareness of such topic.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 3:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Who knows what I'd do? I've only ever witnessed one assault in my life, which was on a male hippie. I was about to wade in, and my girlfriend physically dragged me away. She said the bully would have just assaulted me too. I remonstrated with her for a while. It's a sad fact of life that it's wise to choose your battles, but it looks like there's a bit of a tendency to be a gallant fool in my DNA.

A few years later some lone drunk was (relatively mildly) threatening towards my girlfriend at a bus stop, on her way home from my place, though no actual harm was done. After she told me about it, I took to accompanying her into town every time she went home from my place, and waiting with her till she was safely on the bus.

It seems pretty clear what you'd do - nothing, and make excuses for it. Cos that's what you did. Oh, right, you were totally just about to gonna do something, but the girlfriend wouldn't let you... :roll:

I notice that your response to her feeling unsafe was to accompany her, rather than to expect her to learn self defense. Sure was bold and gallant to accompany her during the times when there wasn't a threat. Bet that makes things super easy. Granted, you did it when there was no longer a (relatively mild) threat, but the idea of "standing up for women" does at least seem to register to you - at least when it's YOUR girl. Not sure why it's so confusing for supposedly "good" men to stand up for any women (or people) they encounter, similarly.

There's something to be said for people who've never been assaulted, never been involved in an assault, and barely even had to witness an assault, deciding the best ways to handle assault.

Furthermore, that article you've posted talks extensively about outside intervention regarding assault. It says very little about "self-defense", and quite a lot about standing up for others, and the best way to intervene on behalf of others.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 12:31 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

It seems pretty clear what you'd do - nothing, and make excuses for it. Cos that's what you did. Oh, right, you were totally just about to gonna do something, but the girlfriend wouldn't let you... :roll:

You weren't there, and you have no idea what happened except what I wrote about it, but somehow you think you know more about it than I do.

Quote:
I notice that your response to her feeling unsafe was to accompany her, rather than to expect her to learn self defense.

That's right. She made that journey about 3 times a week, and there wouldn't have been time for her to enroll on a course and learn much before her next journey, even if such an option had been available in the mid-1970s.

Quote:
Sure was bold and gallant to accompany her during the times when there wasn't a threat. Bet that makes things super easy. Granted, you did it when there was no longer a (relatively mild) threat

If you read what I wrote before, I only claimed a "bit of a tendency to be a gallant fool." I didn't say "look at me, I'm so bold and gallant." Nor did I say that the second incident was particular evidence of my gallant foolishness.

The girlfriend incident showed that she wasn't safe. At least we didn't think she was. You perform an action repeatedly without incident for some time, think it's safe, then one night you have a near miss, and you realise it's not safe. So you do something about it, you try to render it safer. That's what I did, and I make no apology for it. What do you think I should have done?

Quote:
but the idea of "standing up for women" does at least seem to register to you - at least when it's YOUR girl. Not sure why it's so confusing for supposedly "good" men to stand up for any women (or people) they encounter, similarly.

It's pretty normal for people to look after self, friends and family with more energy than they look after the rest of the world. I suppose I could become some kind of vigilante and patrol the streets at night, but I don't know anybody else who does that, and at 71 years of age it's probably not going to happen. I thought we'd already established that if I encountered an incident, nobody knows quite what I'd do. If you look at that page I linked to, there's a bit of advice there about when to wade in and when not to. Hopefully I'd take that into account.

Quote:
There's something to be said for people who've never been assaulted, never been involved in an assault, and barely even had to witness an assault, deciding the best ways to handle assault.

I have been assaulted. And we all have to decide these things for ourselves, whether we've been assaulted or not. Of course I can't decide for anybody else, not being a lawmaker or police chief. I think I'm allowed to express an opinion.

Quote:
Furthermore, that article you've posted talks extensively about outside intervention regarding assault. It says very little about "self-defense", and quite a lot about standing up for others, and the best way to intervene on behalf of others.

Yes, I like both. If you want an article about self-defense, there's this:

https://www.urbanfitandfearless.com/201 ... fence.html

I wouldn't say it's the last word on self-defense - I can see at least one apparent flaw in what it says - but it does show that there's more than one view about the vexed question of whether or not advocating self defense is victim-blaming.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 12:50 pm

^ It IS victim-blamey. It’s shifting the focus from the perpetrator to the victim. It happens too much, and it needs to change.

It shouldn’t be hard to imagine how self-defense would be completely ineffective in many different scenarios.

Society needs to change.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 3:13 pm

I think slogans like "any man can be a rapist" or "any man can be a violent assaulter" are not only an insult to men but actually harmful to women. I read that 0,5% of the men in my country are convicted sex offenders. That makes it about four times more likeley that a man is autistic or twenty times more likely that he's openly gay than he's a sex offender. Of course you can speculate about the number of men escaping justice or innocent ones being convicted, but let's not go down that road. Instead of lumping together 99,5% of men with that small group of offenders I think it's better to focus on what sets the 0,5% apart from men in general and fund research in that field so that women can learn to spot the warning signs. A lot of violence, included sexual, against women is by a partner or someone the woman willingly had engaged with. And a lot of the men that attack and assault women they don't know are in a long term relationship with a woman. And I doubt any of these offenders are incels. This is a clear indication that women are rather clueless about these warning signs.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 3:18 pm

bee33 wrote:
And once again, talking about sexual violence against women has been derailed by turning it into a discussion about self defense.

The bigger issue is a much more important issue, and it's the issue that the meme is about. This is another validation of the importance of the message of the meme and how no one apparently wants to hear it.

Just like you can't talk about racism without the conversation becoming hijacked by wipepo's insecurities you can't talk about women's issues without the conversation becoming hijacked by men's insecurities.

They always seem to turn into zero-sum discussions that revolve around the dominant group's concerns, meaning any attempt at positive change will always be treated like it's actually costing the dominant group in some way.