I had a meltdown when my mum went on a trip

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

spacecat1900
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2024, 4:54 pm

I live part-time (with housemates, although we don't talk to each other much) at a rented apartment in the neighbourhood me and my family lived in for a decade and which I love, and at our "new" (we've been there for 3 years) family home in a different neighbourhood, mostly on the weekends. A few days ago, my mum went overseas on a trip, and my aunt (whom I'm quite close to) came over to our family home to stay. Over the next 3 days or so, I became more and more dysregulated with this big change. Then, I had an additional stressor to do with my weight gain. These two made everything snowball into a big meltdown last night, and I slept until 8 pm today from the exhaustion.

Anyway, I'm back at my rental apartment and feeling much better because I'm back in a familiar neighbourhood, but I feel awful that my need for sameness even manifests in the form of meltdowns when my mum is away- I'm in my late 30s (! !!) and this is really embarrassing to admit to. I'm doing my best to be an independent adult, but incidents like these really show how far I am from becoming a proper "adult". Has something similar happened to anyone before?

Last edited by spacecat1900 on 05 May 2024, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim the Enchanter
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2024, 5:18 pm

For me, there are sensory issues which make me appear less than my age. I HATE salad, cannot eat it, at all. I hate the texture, I hate the way it tastes. I learned a long time ago that meltdowns are unacceptable. If I feel myself going there, I begin to shut down and withdraw. It isn't that hard to withdraw. Maybe you can begin shutting down as well.