Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2024, 7:17 pm

I got a masters degree in special education. My plan was to teach in military schools abroad. Teaching in America has become so terrible it just isn't worth it otherwise.

But they went and changed the process to get teacher certification. Now they have made it extremely convoluted and confusing, and prohibitively expensive. I already paid $300 to get started once, but I couldn't even figure out what to do. The only thing I could figure out is that costs another $100 every time I submit each assignment.

So here I am back where I started: with a useless master's degree that placed me under a mountain of debt but still can't get a job, because employment is still locked behind inaccessible certification.

Nothing I do makes a difference. I just end up screwed all the same. Only with more debt now.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 7:22 pm

Nightwing82 wrote:
I got a masters degree in special education. My plan was to teach in military schools abroad. Teaching in America has become so terrible it just isn't worth it otherwise.

But they went and changed the process to get teacher certification. Now they have made it extremely convoluted and confusing, and prohibitively expensive. I already paid $300 to get started once, but I couldn't even figure out what to do. The only thing I could figure out is that costs another $100 every time I submit each assignment.

So here I am back where I started: with a useless master's degree that placed me under a mountain of debt but still can't get a job, because employment is still locked behind inaccessible certification.

Nothing I do makes a difference. I just end up screwed all the same. Only with more debt now.

I flamed out during my student teaching. Partially pandemic and partially not being diagnosed.

If you've got a masters, have you considered just looking at teaching at community colleges or the like until you've got the funds to complete the practicum? Or possibly private schools?