Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FrostBender
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2024, 10:03 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this site.
I keep getting "General Error" or "unable to establish a database connection" when I try to go to different pages.
Is something wrong with my computer?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 12:31 am

FrostBender wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to this site.
I keep getting "General Error" or "unable to establish a database connection" when I try to go to different pages.
Is something wrong with my computer?
Welcome Aboard!

This website is having problems on its server.  Basically, too many people are logging in at the same time.

Also, the website software is nearly two decades old.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2024, 3:33 am

See - viewtopic.php?t=420742

Exeunt, muttering darkly about write-only forums.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2024, 4:00 am

Fnord wrote:
Basically, too many people are logging in at the same time.
Error messages can be generated as a knock-on effect from unrelated issues elsewhere and as a result, the error reported isn't always the root cause.
This error has been presumptively identified as being caused by a timeout adjustment made elsewhere; investigation continues.
Also, considering how it's produced at all times would tend to indicate it's not associated with the number of people logged on - when America & Canada sleep, the bulk of WP's logons disappear yet the error still occurs.

A knock-on effect example: trying to access a floppy disk with no disk in the drive would generate a "disk read error" message which would have been more accurately reported as "no disk present".
(early versions of Windows)

Fnord wrote:
the website software is nearly two decades old.
But unlike people, software doesn't age and become more error-prone.
Its functionality (granted, such as it is) is identical to the functionality when first installed. Ergo, the cause lies outside the software.