Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 2:29 am

Forget the 104 key keyboard. I've decided that the best keyboard for WP is a 109 key keyboard. The extra 5 keys will all be mapped to F5. (F5 is the keyboard shortcut for refreshing your browser, for those who didn't know.) This way we won't wear out that one key. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 2:32 am

F5 is the key that darkens my backlight (Mac).

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 4:24 am

Good to know. So what key refreshes the browser on a Mac? We can add some of those for you folks too.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2024, 8:24 am

Flower-R refreshes on mac in the Chrome browser.

“Reload your current page ⌘ + R”

https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/accessibility/k ... me_mac.htm

The official name for Flower is “Command” on a Mac keyboard. It might also be marked Cmd or with an Apple symbol on very very old macs.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... mh0011/mac

In unicode the graphical symbol or code-point is called “U+2318 ⌘ PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN”

The trivia is that on the Apple II line of computers there were two keys on the keyboard marked with a black outline of the Apple logo and a filled black version of the same symbol. They were documented as “Open-Apple” and “Closed-Apple”. The original Mac also had an “Apple key”. Someone at Apple decided that the key appearing on menus and documentation for keyboard shortcuts was “diluting the brand” and wanted to change it. The PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN symbol was chosen to replace it because it was described as “Interesting Feature” in one reference (the symbol looks like a castle wall with 4 towers, one at each corner as seen from above, and it was used on maps and road signs to represent castle ruins for tourists to visit, and by extension, other points of interest). “Feature” was a word frequently used in software development, so the “Interesting Feature” symbol seemed the perfect symbol to replace the Apple-key symbol. The name “Command” must have followed later. Other keyboards had keys that behaved as Extra Shift keys which could be used in combination with letter keys and other typical typewriter-like keys called “Control”, “Alt”, and “Meta”.

Modern Mac keyboards have

Command (or Cmd) ⌘
Shift ⇧
Option (or Alt) ⌥ (this strange looking symbol is borrowed from the electrical engineering diagrams symbol for a switch. Unicode helpfully calls it U+2325 OPTION KEY)
Control (or Ctrl) ⌃
Caps Lock ⇪
Fn (globe symbol, Unicode U+1F310 GLOBE WITH MERIDIANS, Wrongplanet forums don’t support this symbol)