Family units that don't 'believe' in psychology

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

endlessfnords
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2024, 3:11 pm

Anybody here also come from families that invalidate your diagnosis?

37 m, just diagnosed ASC. I grew up in a very authoritarian and conservative household where any discussion of mental health was taboo. My parents don't "believe" in psychology, or most education that lies outside of their rigid identity comfort zones. I see that a big part of this behavior is their own obvious untreated mental health issues. I also see how destructive their brand of politics/religion is.

Any similar experiences here?
How do you cope with family emotional abuse?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2024, 9:33 pm

Welcome to WP, endlessfnords. :)

My family didn't like discussing mental illness until I ended up in hospital with depression multiple times. This sort of forced them to accept that mental health was important.

In 2013 (my last hospital stay), my dad visited me often even though I was very ill with side effects of medication. He brought me drinks and snacks - really thoughtful.

I think I've been fairly lucky although one of my sisters once said to me regarding my depression, "get over it."

endlessfnords
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2024, 6:00 am

Thanks, renaeden! So glad I found this community.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2024, 2:45 am

^No problem! I hope you stick around and post some more. :)

crisv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2024, 4:55 pm

renaeden wrote:
one of my sisters once said to me regarding my depression, "get over it."

my wife yesterday said "you don't need therapy, you need someone to punch you". I guess they follow a similar psychology orientation

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2024, 12:27 am

I have always suffered from severe anxiety, deficiencies socializing, attention deficit issues.

My family has never ever recommended I see a psychiatrist or psychologist. For starters, they're all catholic and have told me praying will make things better (it doesn't work for them at all). They also see things in black and white and believe psychologists are for crazy people and "ret*ds".

I am in Panama, by the way, which is very third world.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2024, 6:36 am

I left home at age 30 and ended up getting therapy on my own, everybody told me my struggles were all my fault, but I learned better and healthier ways to communicate and how to make healthier choices. I had no idea I could act and react to others beyond the ways I had been programmed in my sick family dynamics growing up. I was able to healthily distance myself from family, remain polite but avoid interacting because the behavior patterns were so sick and so well established. If they won't work with you or go with you to family counseling, you may be able to find a way to go on your own. Yes, learning new ways to interact in the world gave me the healthy tools I needed to do better in life long before my autism diagnosis at age 68 finally made sense of so much of my past. Its OK to get the help you know you want and need, in spite of what they think and say. cheering you on, its ok to do things for your own health without their approval or support.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson