Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Oddism
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 1:05 am

Hey, I'm new, still figuring out a lot of things. Undiagnosed.

I always felt like I was not really 'human'. Like I'm some kind of evolutionary mistake. A species of 1. Born on the wrong planet if you will (love the name of this forum, btw). The idea that maybe I am not completely alone is so foreign, I am struggling to process it.

I just whipped through the book 'Unmasking Autism' in the last few days and I am shocked to find that I relate to pretty much all of it. I think I always passed off my oddities as cPTSD 8O

I'm 35 now. On the outside I look very neurotypical. For brief periods I can be charming and funny. Well respected at work, living alone since forever... But the second nobody is around, out comes the stimming, echolalia, palilalia, etc... I process everything differently. I didn't really 'get' how to talk to people until I was 20, and even then I approached it like an algorithm to solve. I've probably spent 1000s of hours studying human interaction rather than just intuitively doing it. I have early memories of my parents punishing me for hand flapping and not wanting to touch things with the wrong texture.

Wow.
I have never told anyone that.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 1:40 am

welcome

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 1:43 am

Ahoy-hoy.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 5:58 am

welcome, glad you found us, you are among others who will understand

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 8:57 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Yes some of us have unusual sensitivity to touch (things with the wrong texture). It is actually a hidden skill if you know how to use it effectively.

Some of us also have a strong sensitivity to smell.

Stimming, yes that can also be present. The human brain has two sides. One exist on the left side of your skull. Normally this is the dominant daytime brain. The right side of your skull has a separate brain. This is your night time brain. There is a little bit of connecting tissue that joins these two side, but sometimes before we reach adulthood, something goes wrong. And the sides switch places. I remember watching a girl on TV who had a very serious problem with talking. She could hardly finish a sentence because of stimming. But then she began to sing and her voice was perfect. Speaking is normally performed by the left side of the brain but the sung words are stored on the right side of the brain. There are two sides to your brain.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 10:46 am

Welcome!

Have you met this free online test: AQ

Of course, it cannot give you a formal diagnosis, but it persuaded me that my suspicions that I was on the Autism Spectrum were very credible.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 12:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I hope you enjoy it here.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Oddism
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 7:00 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome!

Of course, it cannot give you a formal diagnosis, but it persuaded me that my suspicions that I was on the Autism Spectrum were very credible.

Hey thanks!

Just took it and got 40/50

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 8:00 pm

Oddism wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Welcome!

Hey thanks!

Just took it and got 40/50
I got a 40!

While it needn't do the same for you, that score convinced me I wasn't imagining things. That my suspicions were credible. It was what motivated me to seek a formal assessment.

(A formal assessment, by the way, is not required by Wrong Planet.)