Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

BunnyJen90
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 6:18 am

Maybe this is because I don't want to be autistic like everyone says I am, but suddenly wondering why others keep thinking I'm autistic. All it's doing is really ruining my self esteem and then others wonder why I have such low self esteem. I suppose it doesn't help when I keep complaining about how others think I'm autistic but that's because of my low self esteem due to others thinking I'm autistic. Other than that I suppose others find my interest weird especially my interest in geeky stuff like video games and comic books when I'm a 33 year old woman. I try to explain to others I have my own stuff I'm into like everyone else and also that I had a very liberal upbringing and wasn't raised on gender stereotypes. Also I'm not married or have kids at least not yet and live alone in my own apartment so when I'm not working I got plenty of time to myself to play video games if I want. Also it's not like I don't have other interest besides video games. I also enjoy watching TV, reading if I can find something worth reading, drawing, and writing. Also others complain that I have a sarcastic tone of voice. Doesn't help that what little sense of humor I have tends to be sarcastic. Also others say I'm too emotional. Doesn't help that I tend to like drama and some of the shows I would watch growing up could be somewhat dramatic. One of my favorite shows in high school was avatar the last airbender. I especially liked the character Zuko and how dramatic and conflicted his character was. However, I think a lot of fans liked that about the show. Also I kind of like horror though it's more so paranormal horror. I tend to like stuff others find creepy and also like to feel scared. I like the rush I feel when scared. I read that's why a lot of people like horror though. So what's the big deal about my interest. It's not like I'm the only one into the stuff I am. So again why do others got to keep thinking I'm autistic.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 6:33 am

have you got a professional diagnosis of autism? It really doesn't matter what others think, or what labels they give you, does it?

You are you no matter what anybody else says and you have your own interests, activities, and a full life.

Let them think whatever they want to, you know yourself better than anybody else.

Just be the best you that you can be and to heck with the opinions of others.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

BunnyJen90
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 6:53 am

Thanks but doesn't help that I can't get a different job besides McDonald's because of others thinking I'm autistic. At least I'm sure that's why I got rejected everywhere else besides McDonald's.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 7:03 am

Mc Donalds do lovely food. I was teased by my brother as during having to think quick in the drive through it sometimes came out wrong. Asking for a Mc Fishy sandwich or things like that! "Can I have Mc Sauce please? (Ok I made the last one up but it is the sort of thing that I have to be careful I don't accidently say!)

But I think you are autistic in a nice way. :)

Oddism
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 8:41 am

A couple things stand out for mw.

1. I think autistic people sometimes have *more* interests than neurotypicals. I know I do. I am never really bored, the world is full of new things to learn and do. Thus, I think Neurodivergents are often the most interesting people.

2. The job market is awful right now. Maybe it isn't entirely your fault. Instead of trying to fit in, is it possible you can find some way to be self employed? Freelancing? Turning your interest into a business?

BunnyJen90
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 9:30 am

I'd like to be a freelance artist but not entirely sure how to go about it and doesn't help my parents and even my best friend tease me about it when I mention I want to be an artist. Also don't see how I can be autistic in a nice way. Isn't autism a bad thing.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 10:30 am

BunnyJen90 wrote:
Also don't see how I can be autistic in a nice way. Isn't autism a bad thing.

I think there are famous people that are suspected to be autistic and part of the reason for that is that they are head and shoulders above the competion in their field of work. Like Einstein, Bob Dylan, Messi, Darwin, Mozart and Michelangelo to name a few of the heavier hitters. A think some nice autistic traits are no bullshitting or lies.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 11:34 am

A. I don't know why some people think you are Autistic but...might they be correct?

When I turned 64 I had no suspicion I was Autistic and I don't recall anyone ever suggesting it. They just thought I was "weird" (sometimes other less polite words were used). At that time all I knew about Autism was from having seen movie trailers for Rain Man [1988]....and I was nothing like him! But I was becoming increasingly convinced I really was different from everyone else (but I never even considered Autism).

Then through sheer happenstance my then-still-alive-and-very-old Dad happened to meet a young suspected-Autistic boy. The reports I received were that several times Dad said the kid was doing the same "weird" things I used to...but I would've been doing them in the late 1950s! I really didn't think I was Autistic but this was the first real clue I'd ever gotten on how I was "different" (other than that I was bright enough to have joined Mensa). Even though I thought it was unlikely, I read about Autism.

And it sounded like me! And my bride agreed.

I was skeptical about any diagnosis from me and her but I found an online test: AQ. It also agreed that I was likely Autistic.

So I got a formal Adult Autism Assessment. (Which was kind of fun! Much of the assessment process was things designed for young children but I didn't see any reason they couldn't also assess an adult. But it was entertaining.) My official diagnosis (received while I was still 64) is:

Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild)
also meets the criteria previously associated with Asperger's Syndrome

And, like many other late-diagnosed folk on WP, I was delighted. I finally understood my life better.

By the way that understanding hasn't been very useful, other than delighting me. Though when my bride bumps up against one of my Autism traits I do enjoy saying: I have a doctor's note for that!

B. Having said that, I'd like to reinforce what BillyTree said. Autism is a Spectrum "disorder". It does seriously disable some people (like Rain Man) but other people do quite well despite it.

I'm not a famous billionaire but I think I did reasonably well, myself. I've been in the military, I've graduated from college, and I retired comfortably at age 56. :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 1:12 pm

P.S. Just because I'm Level 1 doesn't mean everyone on WP is. I encourage you to be gentle with everyone here. Even though Autism isn't bothering me much doesn't mean everyone here is as fortunate.

And, I suspect those more seriously affected by Autism might be better-equipped to tell you more about it.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 3:56 pm

BunnyJen90 wrote:
Isn't autism a bad thing.

Personally I see it (at least in the form I have) as a good thing because, well, what the hell is wrong with NTs? Every time I talk to an NT I'm always annoyed by one of their confusing and irrational tendencies. I definitely was lucky not to be one of those weirdos.
Not everyone agrees with me of course, but either way, you are what you are. Having no legs is bad but you don't see people in wheelchairs insisting they really do have legs.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Oddism
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2024, 7:19 pm

BunnyJen90 wrote:
I'd like to be a freelance artist but not entirely sure how to go about it and doesn't help my parents and even my best friend tease me about it when I mention I want to be an artist. Also don't see how I can be autistic in a nice way. Isn't autism a bad thing.

That's really cool. What kind of art do you like?

Hmm there used to be good money in graphic design, but right now AI tools like stable diffusion are wiping out the jobs. I personally think this is overblown in a way. The ability to generate an image is not the same as the ability to make people feel and think. The best art uses imagery as a means rather than an end. I was actually thinking about getting into poetry myself, for no reason other than to prove that I can beat Chat GPT at it by better understanding the human condition.

And no, autism isn't bad, unless you believe it is. I personally love it. We are wired differently. Better at some things, worse at others. But we are outnumbered so severely by neurotypicals who like to verbally beat on us. They make films that portray us in a bad way... but do you feel like a bad person, or is it just the way you have been taught all these years?

I think you should ignore what they tell you. You are a human being, and your life has value.