Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

liz_tyler
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2024, 11:59 am

Hey everyone! I made this account a bit ago, but never got around to posting until now.

So, my name is Liz, I'm nearly 21, and I'm currently studying molecular neuroscience in the Chicago area.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect from here because I've never used used forums like this before, but ideally I'd like to get to know some other autistic people around my age because I haven't really had opportunities to meet other autists since I was diagnosed.

I was formally diagnosed with ASD a few years ago when I was 18.

I'm obviously very interested in neuroscience and other biology/science related topics, I also love video games (rpg's specifically), and I like hiking, strength training, and archery. So if you like any of those, or anything remotely similar tbh, I'd love to chat about those.

Anyways, I'm excited to have found this place, and I look forward to getting to know some other like-minded individuals

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 12:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!
Neuroscience is a fascinating topic. Did you become interested after your diagnosis?

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 1:07 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find some kindred spirits here.

liz_tyler
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2024, 1:31 pm

utterly absurd wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!
Neuroscience is a fascinating topic. Did you become interested after your diagnosis?

Funnily enough, no. I've actually been interested in neuroscience and psychology since I was around 10 years old, and then it was my interest in neuroscience that led me to discover that I was autistic. I guess everyone in my family just thought I was "quirky" or something, because I was the first one to put it all together lol

Also, not sure if this is how you reply on here or not, so apologies if this shows up weird

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 1:49 pm

WHICH kind of Star Wars are you into? :|

I like the Original Expanded Universe, but not so much with the Disney-version.

liz_tyler
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2024, 2:17 pm

I definitely prefer more of the original Star Wars stuff too. Personally, my favorites have always been the prequels, but I know those are still a bit controversial in the community haha

I really try to give the new stuff that Disney's making a chance, but a lot of it is just very mediocre to me. I had so much hope for the Ahsoka and Obi-wan series, but was pretty disappointed. Andor was decent, Visions and Tales of the Jedi/Empire were decent too imo. I can't say I'm a fan of the "disney-fication" of the franchise, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll manage to figure out how to do Star Wars correctly at some point. Andor really felt like a step in the right direction to me, so I hope they make more stuff like that in the future

Honestly, I've been getting more into the novels and comic books these days just because a lot of the authors seem to care more about the universe and whatnot than the show runners do, so if you have any recs, I'm all ears

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 3:40 pm

For books, read the Legacy of the Force and New Republic series.

For games, play Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series, Rogue Squadron, and Knights of the Old Republic. There's also SWTOR as an MMORPG, but I wouldn't really recommend playing it because of iffy microtransactions.

TBH, I would have liked Andor better if they actually said "Sithspit" instead of that profane s-word, and "By the Force" instead of "my God" (since WHEN was there ever a "God" in Star Wars universe? :roll: ). Sorry, I don't like strong profanities much. :oops:

Last edited by UncannyDanny on 10 Jul 2024, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 3:55 pm

Greetings, fellow Earthling human! :alien:

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 4:36 pm

Howdy!

Welcome to the forums. I understand it can be a bit of an adjustment if you aren't used to using a forum website. Social media sites and Discord servers pretty much killed them off.

As to what you are expecting - it is up to you to seek what you want: friends, random discussions, answers to questions you may have. You can do whatever you want. YMMV.

What kind of RPGS have you played?

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

softlyspeaks41
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2024, 10:06 pm

Hello and welcome! Glad you decided to take the plunge and post :) Sounds like a very interesting study!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2024, 10:52 am

Liz, welcome to Wrong Planet.

You wrote, "ideally I'd like to get to know some other autistic people around my age".
Many of us on this forum are older. For example I am 75 years old.

I will pass you some useful information. If you are in college and studying Molecular Neuroscience, you may have a little higher then normal I.Q. It is possible that you might even have a condition known as Asperger's Syndrome (Aspie for short). It this is the case, the way this condition is manifest in males is different then in females. Females tend to try and fit in. The series on Television called "The Big Bang Theory" gives a good example of how this affects males.

You stated, "I like hiking, strength training, and archery." This is a very good thing. In my humble opinion, many forms of physical exercise helps to minimize the effects of stress. Life for us can be very stressful and we need all the help we can get. I generally walk a mile a day up and down a hill. Even at the age of 75, I can swim a mile. So after college, make sure you keep up with exercise. Generally females experience a condition called Bipolar around age 30.

According to the Internet: Bipolar disorder (formerly called manic-depressive illness or manic depression) is a mental illness that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, activity levels, and concentration. These shifts can make it difficult to carry out day-to-day tasks.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2024, 6:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 6:47 am

welcome from somebody who grew up in the Chicago area. Glad you found us

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2024, 2:39 am

Welcome to WP :mrgreen:

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2024, 3:04 am

Hi Liz,
Welcome aboard.
What do you shoot?
I was barebow recurve shooter on the national team for a few years.