Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2007, 10:56 am

LKL wrote:
I believe that what I call 'me' is an emergent property of the actions of the cells that make up the organ called my brain, and that once that brain and those cells become dis-organ-ized, the emergent property of 'me' will no longer exist as such. The chemicals that make up 'me' will scatter across the globe and be incorporated into thousands of other organisms, or subducted into the mantle, or be blown into space by a meteor imact. And 'I' won't be aware of any of it.

Well major problem in your belief is because you try to define 'self' that is something subjective and part of internal experience,with something that is objective (brain,cells) and part of external experience.
Little children don't even know that there is such thing as brain,but they have concept of 'me'.
Brain is organ that is part of objective reality,and children when they grow up,through research of objective reality will discover existence of brain.
However there is no discovering of 'self',since 'self' is first thing we know,and we know it by direct knowledge,and without need of senses.
Yes,there is correlation between brain and 'self',but there is also correlation between 'self' and rest of our body.
Yet,on other hand there is also correlation between cars that we driving and us.But this does not imply that car is us.
Correlation does not imply causation.

So in terms of phenomena 'self' is something totally different in its basis from brain,since 'self; is subjectivity,while brain is objectivity.There is connection between them,since brain is necessary to 'self' so that 'self' can express itself in objective reality.

The_Chosen_One wrote:
I think when Witt said 'we will exist eternally', he meant that this place in time can never be erased, and therefore can never cease to have existed. It will alway be, whether we all die tomorrow, and will be thousands of years from now.

Something like that yes.... :)

Time and its moments are all part of existence as such.

Jack Torrance

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 6:25 pm

Witt wrote:
Well major problem in your belief...

not over-humble, are you?

Quote:
... is because you try to define 'self' that is something subjective and part of internal experience,with something that is objective (brain,cells) and part of external experience.
Little children don't even know that there is such thing as brain,but they have concept of 'me'.

The fact that someone does not understand the cause of a subjective experience does not mean that that experience has no material cause. You could equally argue that what people 'see' has no relationship to the mechanics of lenses or light because children understand neither.

Quote:
However there is no discovering of 'self',since 'self' is first thing we know,and we know it by direct knowledge...

speak for yourself, I suppose. I surprise and learn about myself on an ongoing basis. The Buddhists made an entire science out of the discovery of self, over thousands of years (they don't believe in a permanent 'self,' either, though the origin of their conclusion is different than mine).

Quote:
there is correlation between brain and 'self',but there is also correlation between 'self' and rest of our body.
Yet,on other hand there is also correlation between cars that we driving and us.But this does not imply that car is us.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Actually, in that case it does: just in the reverse of the order that you are thinking. The self chooses (causes) the car it drives. Mid-life-crisis-men and the teen children of rich parents drive sports cars; poor people drive econo-boxes; outdoors people (and those who wish to be perceived as outdoors people) drive SUVs.
More importantly, in the larger sense the self IS the body and the vehicle, as well as the road and the view and the other passengers and the dog in the back seat.

Quote:
... 'self' is something totally different in its basis from brain,since 'self; is subjectivity,while brain is objectivity.There is connection between them,since brain is necessary to 'self' so that 'self' can express itself in objective reality.

the problem with this is that 'self' can be objective as well. Brain surgery is often performed under local anesthesia only, so that the patient can tell the surgeon what they are experiencing. The surgeon can tell exactly where he or she is within the brain by the reactions of the patient; they can objectively predict what the patient will feel when certian areas are stimulated, and what will happen to the 'self' when certian areas are removed.
Traumatic head injuries can destroy parts of the self totally; intelligent people can become morons, kind people can become vicious, and thoughtful people can become impulsive. Psychoactive chemicals alter the functioning of the brain, and in so doing cause the 'self' to undergo quite predictable alterations until the chemicals have been metabolized from the body.

There is no dichotomy between material and spirit. They are two words for the same thing.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2007, 6:50 pm

Witt wrote:
God exist because:

1.There is only existence,non-existence does not exist.Therefore existence cannot be turned into non-existence.

2.I exist.

Now these two 'reasons' are probably confusing,but here are explanations....

If existence exist (basic tautology),therefore everything that exist must continue to exist in one way or another,and can never cease to exist (as beings).
I exist...and I have mind.Therefore existence as totality have mind as well.

Since existence(being) is what underlies all categories (who are changeable),everything that exist is united in existence as such.
That unification is "The Absolute" or "God".
We are part of God,and God exist through us...and all other existing things.

Now,although we are temporary as individuals,we can never cease to exist,we can only change categories of existence.
Existence as such is eternal and beyond time,since time is just one category of existence.

Therefore:

1.God exist,since he is existence as such ("I am what I am").
2.God is Absolute or unity of all individual existing things.
3.God is not omnipotent,since there is nothing outside God towards which God can be omnipotent to.
4.God is omnipresent,since God is everything that exists.
5.Since God is eternal and since God is unification of all that exists,that also include existence of all individual minds(human and non-human alike),and therefore God's mind is greater than all our minds.
6.We participate in God(based on 2)
7.God is both good and evil,since both good and evil exist.
8.We continue to exist after our deaths,since death is end of body functions,not of our existence as such.
9.God is not separate from creation,since God is creation(and therefore when 'creates',he just create within himself).
10.God is not 'He' it's 'WE'.(based on 6)

Isn't this basically the philosophy of Spinoza? I.e. Everything that is, is in God?

edit: I think you already answered that...! D'oh!

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2007, 4:42 pm

LKL wrote:
The fact that someone does not understand the cause of a subjective experience does not mean that that experience has no material cause. You could equally argue that what people 'see' has no relationship to the mechanics of lenses or light because children understand neither.

We don't know that subjective experience have material cause.We only know about correlation between subjectivity and objectivity.And between matter and mind.
'Seeing' is also subjective experience of objective things.However to see something,there must exist something that is able to see.Eyes are only instruments of sight.
But when we think,or imagine things,we don't use our physical senses.

LKL wrote:
speak for yourself, I suppose. I surprise and learn about myself on an ongoing basis. The Buddhists made an entire science out of the discovery of self, over thousands of years (they don't believe in a permanent 'self,' either, though the origin of their conclusion is different than mine).

True,there are many layers of personality.
However layers of personality is not same thing as 'self' as whole.
You don't need to discover that you is you.

LKL wrote:
the problem with this is that 'self' can be objective as well. Brain surgery is often performed under local anesthesia only, so that the patient can tell the surgeon what they are experiencing.

You're confusing sense data with internal experience of self.Experiences in brain surgery are simply result of stimulations on one organ.
We can cut a leg of man without anesthesia and I assure you that he will also 'experience' things.
But people can live without legs,and even without parts of their brain,but they are still 'selfs'.

LKL wrote:
Traumatic head injuries can destroy parts of the self totally; intelligent people can become morons, kind people can become vicious, and thoughtful people can become impulsive.

Emotions and intelligence are reaction of self towards outside world.These reactions depends of our senses and structure of our brains.
However no matter how these reactions may be changed,this person is still 'self',although with different perception of outside (objective) world.

LKL wrote:
Psychoactive chemicals alter the functioning of the brain, and in so doing cause the 'self' to undergo quite predictable alterations until the chemicals have been metabolized from the body.

These alterations are just reactions of 'self' towards outside world.

If you cease to drive car,and start to drive bicycle,then your way of driving of bicycle would became 'predictable'.But does this said anything about the driver?
Bicycle driver and his vehicle are not same thing,although vehicle has been used by driver for some purpose (transportation).

LKL wrote:
There is no dichotomy between material and spirit. They are two words for the same thing.

Yes there is- on categorial level of existence.In same way as time and space are two different things,like mass and force field,as quantity and quality are two different things.
However they are all necessary to each other.

On the level of pure existence (being) they are indeed the same thing.

EatingPoetry wrote:
Isn't this basically the philosophy of Spinoza? I.e. Everything that is, is in God?

edit: I think you already answered that...! D'oh!

Spinoza actually said that everything is Substance and that this Substance is basically 'God'.
Problem is that 'Substance' (Substantia) means something like 'basis' when it translated from Latin.
Or Sub-state...that is more precise.
Spinoza,however never really defined what this 'Substance' actually is,what is foundation of it.

And when he said that Substance is everything,he actually didn't say anything,he just made abstract logical construction.

So I'm saying something that Spinoza said,plus something that Spinoza didn't said. :wink:

Jack Torrance

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2007, 5:10 pm

P.S

When someone say: "We are our brains" he actually makes logical contradiction and fallacy.

For example "I am my brain" is sentence in which subject is same thing as predicate.
But that's not possible since subject,by definition is not predicate.

But when I'm saying that we are united in being,I don't make a logical error.

Since being (and derivations of that word) is copula or something that connects subject and predicate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copula

Quote:
In linguistics, a copula is a word used to link the subject of a sentence with a predicate (a subject complement or an adverbial). Although it might not itself express an action or condition, it serves to equate (or associate) the subject with the predicate.

Quote:
The term is generally used to refer to the main copular verb in the language: in the case of English, this is "to be".

Jack Torrance

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 7:40 am

Ragtime wrote:

Why, to pick up hot Aspie babes, of course! 8).

sometimes I think so.

Quote:
(No, they'd only silence me with a baseball bat once they got to know me.)

If clever.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 1:46 pm

Witt,
If the 'self' is not what thinks, not what reacts, and not what experiences, then what is it? It has no physical presence and no physical effects. It might as well not exist; there is as much evidence for it as for the flying spaghetti monster (to borrow a popular skeptic's phrase).

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2007, 2:23 pm

LKL wrote:
Witt,
If the 'self' is not what thinks, not what reacts, and not what experiences, then what is it? It has no physical presence and no physical effects. It might as well not exist; there is as much evidence for it as for the flying spaghetti monster (to borrow a popular skeptic's phrase).

I have never said that 'self' does not experience.
'Self' always have experience of itself,and even without existence of senses it would still be able to experience itself and darkness instead of objectivity.

Self must always exist,since it's already exists.

Jack Torrance

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 1:01 pm

And since that experience can be altered by alterations in the physical and chemical structure and makeup of the brain... ?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 1:58 pm

spdjeanne wrote:
I've noticed many people posting statements such as this...

If I ever believe in God, I will have to believe based on the evidence available to me and my own reason, not because someone tells me to believe it!

In response, I've noticed Christians protesting that you can reach belief in God based on the evidence available and reason, but that Atheists or Agnostics just aren't willing to see the evidence.

I'm a Christian and don't think it is possible for anyone to reach a belief in God based on the evidence and reason. I'm not saying reason has nothing to do with faith in God once I have that faith, but the faith itself is non-rational. By that I mean that there is no way to choose between God and not God except by a leap of faith. Having been an Atheist before, I know that the very same evidence can both support and destroy faith depending on how I've already chosen to believe or disbelieve.

Belief in God by pure reason creates a paradox because then belief would be our own achievement, we could save ourselves. It would be unfair and unjust because only the very few well educated people would be able to have that salvation.

Even if you don't believe in the Biblical timescale, intelligent design can be seen throughout living systems, Earth's atmosphere, resources, and orbit parameters, male-female bodies, etc. Also extraBiblical history such as:

"Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome..."
Tacitus: "Annals" 15.44.2-8 Circa 115 AD

And,

"They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food--but food of an ordinary and innocent kind."
Pliny the Younger: Letter of Pliny the Younger to Emperor Trajan Circa A.D. 112

Also, here is an interesting article on the grandsons of Noah

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2007, 3:27 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
spdjeanne wrote:
I've noticed many people posting statements such as this...

If I ever believe in God, I will have to believe based on the evidence available to me and my own reason, not because someone tells me to believe it!

In response, I've noticed Christians protesting that you can reach belief in God based on the evidence available and reason, but that Atheists or Agnostics just aren't willing to see the evidence.

I'm a Christian and don't think it is possible for anyone to reach a belief in God based on the evidence and reason. I'm not saying reason has nothing to do with faith in God once I have that faith, but the faith itself is non-rational. By that I mean that there is no way to choose between God and not God except by a leap of faith. Having been an Atheist before, I know that the very same evidence can both support and destroy faith depending on how I've already chosen to believe or disbelieve.

Belief in God by pure reason creates a paradox because then belief would be our own achievement, we could save ourselves. It would be unfair and unjust because only the very few well educated people would be able to have that salvation.

Even if you don't believe in the Biblical timescale, intelligent design can be seen throughout living systems, Earth's atmosphere, resources, and orbit parameters, male-female bodies, etc. Also extraBiblical history such as:

"Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome..."
Tacitus: "Annals" 15.44.2-8 Circa 115 AD

And,

"They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food--but food of an ordinary and innocent kind."
Pliny the Younger: Letter of Pliny the Younger to Emperor Trajan Circa A.D. 112

Also, here is an interesting article on the grandsons of Noah

If a person does not believe in the Bible or in God why would intelligent design or the Biblical timescale mean anything at all to that person much less as "evidence"? Such things are only "evidence" for people who are already believe in God.

The quoted historical texts don't prove that God exists only that there was a historical figure who people worshiped as a god.

All I'm trying to say is that everything you've proposed here as evidence is only evidence to you because you already believe.

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2007, 3:38 pm

LKL wrote:
And since that experience can be altered by alterations in the physical and chemical structure and makeup of the brain... ?

Only thing that can be altered is your perception of outside world.
But you can never alter your perception of yourself (that you is you).You can only alter your identity towards outside world.

Jack Torrance

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 3:39 pm

People with different worldviews see things differently, that's for certain.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2007, 6:00 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

What a tautological thing for you to say! Who could disagree with that? :lol:

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 6:21 pm

spdjeanne wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

*looks around*...

*raises hand*

I'd say that NOTHING is that certain. Not even the foundations
of logic, which make tautologies self evident - which this is NOT.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2007, 9:29 pm

calandale wrote:
spdjeanne wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

*looks around*...

*raises hand*

I'd say that NOTHING is that certain. Not even the foundations
of logic, which make tautologies self evident - which this is NOT.

:roll: