Zero occupational prospects

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2024, 10:30 pm

Sometimes I get so disgusted with myself

Somehow I managed to go from flunking out of structural engineering at 21 to pushing shopping carts like a loser at 37

The longest I have ever had a job was three years and nine months (current dumpster fire "job")

Plenty of jobs are between structural engineering and lot attendant in terms of academic difficulty

What did I do to destroy my "life" like that?

Zero felony convictions

Health not that bad this far, just getting worse

Nobody discriminated against me

And pretty soon I will not be able to lift fifty pounds anymore and then get made redundant and s**t

Been applying for jobs lately. A couple answers but everything I qualify for is minimum wage. Any old monkey could do my job. Unskilled labor, et cetera

s**t

Especially lately costs skyrocketing and salary not rising in proportion

Terrified of being homeless or some s**t like that

When I see homeless I wonder how much longer until I am one of them

Two full time minimum wage jobs is not enough for room and board even where I live

Plenty of people earn minimum wage and some of them pay: room, board, utilities, pets, cars, children, boxing lessons, health insurance, car insurance, gas, clothes, parties, Uber eats, phones, internet, gadgets

How do they do it?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2024, 10:39 pm

I assume they're in significant debt if they aren't earning secret cash on the side, or they didn't inherit a windfall.
No one I know can even move out from their parents on double or triple of minimum wage.

Did you mention an interview for a $52,000 job or did I dream that?

Graves Knight
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2024, 12:48 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Sometimes I get so disgusted with myself

Somehow I managed to go from flunking out of structural engineering at 21 to pushing shopping carts like a loser at 37

The longest I have ever had a job was three years and nine months (current dumpster fire "job")

Plenty of jobs are between structural engineering and lot attendant in terms of academic difficulty

What did I do to destroy my "life" like that?

Zero felony convictions

Health not that bad this far, just getting worse

Nobody discriminated against me

And pretty soon I will not be able to lift fifty pounds anymore and then get made redundant and s**t

Been applying for jobs lately. A couple answers but everything I qualify for is minimum wage. Any old monkey could do my job. Unskilled labor, et cetera

s**t

Especially lately costs skyrocketing and salary not rising in proportion

Terrified of being homeless or some s**t like that

When I see homeless I wonder how much longer until I am one of them

Two full time minimum wage jobs is not enough for room and board even where I live

Plenty of people earn minimum wage and some of them pay: room, board, utilities, pets, cars, children, boxing lessons, health insurance, car insurance, gas, clothes, parties, Uber eats, phones, internet, gadgets

How do they do it?

Hey I truly hope things get better for you. I'm somewhat in the same position. I can't afford any living expenses on my own; even with a degree. I've tried so many things in the last 10 years and were a complete failure. With no other plans currently lined up, I'm in the same mindset as you. I'm now simply trying to become humble and pray for a better tomorrow. Loki said to Thor during the encounter with Thanos: "I assure you, brother, the sun will shine on us again".

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2024, 11:09 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing the story of how this happened. If you flunked out, you had to have gotten admitted. It's competitive to be admitted to engineering programs. If you were smart enough to be admitted, then I suppose that flunking out may have been related to non-technical, social problems.

I know something about this. I left college, a total failure, and then returned ten years later and earned three degrees, two in engineering. When I went back, I was almost your age. I'm not suggesting you should go back now, at least not necessarily. I do want you to know that whatever was holding me back, I overcame that. This is not to say that I overcame everything. All these years later I'm still basically a social failure, but at least I have my dignity.

I surely hope there is some way out of this mess for you. For autistic people, sometimes rather creative solutions are necessary.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2024, 8:30 pm

Isabella

The $52000 job gave me a phone interview today. They have not given me a job offer thus far. Besides, even if it does hire my worthless corpse, "at will" employer. It could still make my worthless corpse redundant the next day.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

There is not enough information to determine the reason why I flunked out. Social problems could be one reason. In Statistics, it is extremely difficult to separate causation from correlation. College admissions depend on GPA, SAT scores, and essays and things like that. There is no objective method of measuring intelligence. Everyone is "intelligent". "Smart" and "intelligent" mean nothing. Colleges can admit anyone they want. Positive judgments are just as judgmental as negative ones.