Page 9 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Does the Bible present a flat earth? Think carefully...
Yes, but I haven't read it 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes and I have read it 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
No, but I haven't read it 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No and I have read it 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:23 am

Sedaka wrote:
JonnyBGoode wrote:
I've not seen any "flat earth quotes from the Bible" either.

like i said, that doesn't really apply... doesn't mean they thought it was round...

It doesn't, or in that case then we should look at the original writings, not the translation ones, if that's the case I suppose.

Mostly we should see how their society knew or thought about it at time of ancient judaism and early christianity.

One of the links provided claims that the ancients knew about the shape of the earth, I suppose they did, there were philosophers and scientists on ancient times, probably the more powerful societies back then studied it somehow, knowing or speculating about the shape of the earth, most likely those "ideas" were not that popular even in those societies because no one cared about it, much less with jewish and early christians, and that's really the question. Did jewish and early christians accepted those things? I actually doubt it, that if they even heard about it.

How about the earth orbiting around the sun? most likely they would have seen that as blasphemy, the idea would be to them like worshiping the sun instead of God, therefore rejecting it.

Last edited by greenblue on 30 Aug 2007, 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:24 am

Yes, just saw that. Didn't realise I'd posted something that you covered, but maybe it slipped through the cracks in their reasoning, like everything else has. Did you see the vids on the other thread, by the way?

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 4:43 pm

Anubis wrote:
The flat earth idea is purely a fairytale.

Attributed to Christianity in the late 1800s although the idea was Greek. Some Greek philosophers thought it was round and the books of Isaiah and Job mention that idea before the Greeks got to it, but other philosophers were more popular, 300 years before Christ came, so before Christianity had popular support 600 years before Constantine.