Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 7:43 am

attention all having google earth 4.2 (the version with the sky) installed, i just discovered this morning that this version of google earth also includes A FLIGHT SIMULATOR ! !

no seperate download required, heres what you do

open google earth 4.2 go into sky mode for alittle while then go into earth mode then with keyboard press [ctrl] [win key] [a](after this first time with ctrl win key a, [ctrl] [alt] [a] works this will bring up a grey box with a selection of 2 differant planes and what airport or veiw you want to start flight from, then click start flight and using arrow keys and page up/down for throttle. there are more controls for it found here

http://earth.google.com/intl/en/usergui ... index.html

my first couple of flights if done in a real plane i probably would have passed out or died from the g-forces or the crash on my last flight over nj and landed nose first in a feild near ets(educational testing service, they make them state tests that kids take in high school)

i think it will be years or a few months before i can fly the f-16 (1 of 2 planes you can choose from)smoothly

happy flying in google earth :)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 7:45 am

You should never have told me, I daren't go there, I won't get a thing done 8O

:D

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2007, 8:58 am

Is this flight Simulator an actual game?
or just a feature bundled with the software?

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 9:30 am

bjmax31 wrote:
Is this flight Simulator an actual game?
or just a feature bundled with the software?

feature bundled in, ur not competeing with anyone or any objective its just another point of veiw accept from a plane.

but i guess yea it could be treated as a game, to see how long you go before you crash or compete with freinds (when they are over) for smoothest flight or best landing or best control?? who knows,

kaleido, olol please only do IN FREE TIME or do whta i do, get housework done first or what you need to do then go to computer and take flight. its also a good idea to use time wisely by looking at clock frequently, but yea i know how you feel, time "flies" (no pun intended there) fast when in google earth or posting :lol:

lau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 10:21 am

Thanks doordoctor... it even works fine in Linux. (Though I have to turn off the desktop cube, because my ancient graphics card (GeForce2) has a fit with Google Earth on it's own, let alone sky and simulator.)

Barrel rolls at 30,000 feet are good! :)

Barrel rolls at 3 feet are bad. :(

PS. bjmax31, I think, by definition, a flight simulator is not a game.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 10:26 am

doordoctor wrote:
but yea i know how you feel, time "flies" (no pun intended there) fast when in google earth or posting :lol:

What is the longest flight on it?

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 4:02 pm

Kaleido wrote:
doordoctor wrote:
but yea i know how you feel, time "flies" (no pun intended there) fast when in google earth or posting :lol:

my longest flight, umm, about 2 minutes before clicking exit simulator i at least stayed steady at 35 thousand feet (about altitude of a commercial airliner) and at least LEVEL.

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2007, 7:02 pm

doordoctor wrote:
Kaleido wrote:
doordoctor wrote:

my longest flight, umm, about 2 minutes before clicking exit simulator i at least stayed steady at 35 thousand feet (about altitude of a commercial airliner) and at least LEVEL.

is it a callenge to stay in the air?
Or is it like more meh! (semi-impressive)

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 6:31 am

*takes F-16 to 61k feet*
*dives at ground*
*levels out at 3k feet at over 1200mph*
Fun.

Maybe someday it'll have an option for an SR-71 flying over Mars.

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2007, 6:18 pm

It's cool to zoom in to a town/city/island, then use the flight simulator's 'use current view' option to fly over the area at extremely high altitude. I haven't managed to get the F-16 to over 50000 feet without stalling, though.