Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What usually happens when you express what you need?
I beat around the bush because I am shy 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
I beat around the bush because I am shy 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
I beat around the bush for the purpose of getting someone to play a guessing game 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I beat around the bush for the purpose of getting someone to play a guessing game 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I have no problem at all. Social interaction is easy for me. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
I have no problem at all. Social interaction is easy for me. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 52

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 7:48 am

I have a lot of trouble expressing what I need, so I just thought I would ask, what usually happens if you do, and if you have difficulties, what are they?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 8:45 am

I often have trouble talking about my feelings and problems.

Beat around the bush and make them guess.

Half the time if they guess right I will say no anyway. When I don't want to say something, I will let them guess until they get it.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 9:13 am

have been working on this loads, recently, so, once i've worked out what it is i need (which is the difficult bit for me), i can be quite precise and clear. it's taken years, mind you...

PaulB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2005, 9:56 am

I have a bad habit of not expressing what I need at all. When I do, I will usually just come out and say it, but it usually takes 30-45 minutes of just sitting there and working myself to get to the point where I (very uncomfortably) say that I need something.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 10:06 am

I have no problem at all. I walk up and say, "Hey, can I borrow some money?" or "Ummmm..... someone stole my pen, can I borrow yours?". It doesn't take much effort for me, unless an attractive women is involved. Then it's complete tongue-tied-ness for me.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 11:57 am

It really, really depends on what the need is.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 12:38 pm

Can I take options 1 and 2?

I kinda do both of them.

GA

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 1:23 pm

GalileoAce wrote:
Can I take options 1 and 2?

I kinda do both of them.

GA

Me, too.

~Steve Jobs

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2005, 1:37 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
It doesn't take much effort for me, unless an attractive women is involved. Then it's complete tongue-tied-ness for me.

oh god, yes! although it'd be a bloke, in my case.

and, reading through the other posts, i now realise that, although i CAN do it, it isn't necessarily automatic or quick - depends on whom i'm talking to. if it's people i care about, or whose opinion matters to me, then i'm more likely to be more squirmy and hesitant.

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2005, 6:34 am

I'm completely crap at stating my needs although I'm not sure either of the first two options apply. With me I think it's self-esteem or something, I just don't think I have the right to make demands on other people, however tiny the need actually is, and we can be talking the smallest things, like I'll walk across the room to pick something up when another person could have passed it to me without them hardly moving if I'd have asked.

-----------------------------------------------------------

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 8:34 pm

I used to be terrible at making my needs clear. I've slowly taught myself how to do it. Though I'm still pretty bad at it, unless the need is obvious or desperate.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 8:44 pm

I'm OK at making my needs clear. I need to think about it and decide what I am going to say before I say it. Although I am very good in emergency situations. None of the poll options fit me, though

mentalman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2005, 11:21 pm

Hello,

I'm ok with asking for what I need....but there are a lot of times when I'll stammer a little bit (I think from nervousness) as I make the request. If I'm in a comfortable situation (i.e. working w/ computers, or at school) it's a lot easier.

With other situations though, I tend to stammer a bit.

mentalman

Feather
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2005, 8:39 am

Absolutely appalling at it.

I didn't vote, because I'm neither shy, nor do I want to play games and make people guess.

It's more a case of not being able to work out what it is that I want - leads to a feeling of generally being cross and fidgety, but not knowing myself what is bothering me, I can't express it to others.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2005, 6:08 am

I usually don't feel right about asking directly as I hate the word "No" more than any other word. If I beat around the bush and don't get what I want, at least nobody said "NO" to me. That is because I am scared of my reaction to having "No" said to me. Also, I don't like to ask people for favours unless I know I can do something back for them.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2005, 7:24 am

This is one problem I've always had with my parents, particularly before I was diagnosed with AS. If I didn't explain my problems perfectly they wouldn't understand and accuse me of wanting too much or whatever.

For me to explain anything about my problems to my parents in a way that they'd understand, I have to spend hours working out in my head previously how to explain it because if I can't explain it literally they won't understand and will always ask questions or get the wrong idea. And often by the time I get a chance to explain it to them, it doesn't come out the way I origianlly intend it.