Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 10:00 am

This may have been covered before, if so I appologize.
Has anyone else seen it?

I was watching Law&Order the other night and there was this guy, who was clearly AS. He was portrayed as the eccentric genius type at first, then he kept going on about his schedule, and how he didn't eat green foods.

So it turns out, he's a rapist and a murderer. And I thought "well that's just terrific!"

Then last night I caught another episode, and it just happened to be the trial of this guy.
Near the end, they decided to go with an insanity type defense, and they actually started discussing AS.
I was pleased to hear one expert state that, there is no corolation of AS and violence, and that the opposite is usually true.

The defense was basically that he misinterpreted friendlnes for consent, and it was therefore not really rape.
Eventually the guy was convicted, because they determined that he knew the difference betwee right and wrong.

This was all a little disturbing. I know the writers like to keep the shows current and all. But the thought of someone learning about AS in such a way is not too appealing.

If I know the American TV viewing masses, this is the message they will retain.

AS = crazy / rapist / murderer

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2005, 10:39 am

You're right on all points. Also, it seems to be a commonly held belief, for some reason, that Asperger's Syndrome brings on more general violence than other spectrum disorders. I don't know where people get these ideas, but I'm 'in the closet' and I hear these myths from people around me at work and other messageboards.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 1:04 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Raven
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Law&Order AS case
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This may have been covered before, if so I appologize.
Has anyone else seen it?

I was watching Law&Order the other night and there was this guy, who was clearly AS. He was portrayed as the eccentric genius type at first, then he kept going on about his schedule, and how he didn't eat green foods.

So it turns out, he's a rapist and a murderer. And I thought "well that's just terrific!"

Then last night I caught another episode, and it just happened to be the trial of this guy.
Near the end, they decided to go with an insanity type defense, and they actually started discussing AS.
I was pleased to hear one expert state that, there is no corolation of AS and violence, and that the opposite is usually true.

The defense was basically that he misinterpreted friendlnes for consent, and it was therefore not really rape.
Eventually the guy was convicted, because they determined that he knew the difference betwee right and wrong.

This was all a little disturbing. I know the writers like to keep the shows current and all. But the thought of someone learning about AS in such a way is not too appealing.

If I know the American TV viewing masses, this is the message they will retain.

AS = crazy / rapist / murdererBack to top

REmember, we live in a TV world and remember how in the 70's Gays
were portrayed as psycho killers on TV & Movies.. To this day, this hasn't
been shook. So it looks grim and I am sad to say, the misinformed NT public
is as ignorant as to what they remember what they saw on TV.

Note:

Donna Reed'ism(wife stays home, dad works , kids polite)
still lingers as Johnny Depp is to this nighttime. This is reflective
of out TV culture and society. The reality is that we remember
what is on TV....bad commercials(not the good one's), bad TV
show stereotypes, ect....!

Sorry,
Ghosthunter

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2005, 11:07 am

This is a tactic to demonize us. Fight back!