Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

15 Sep 2007, 4:28 pm

username88 wrote:
Something I cant stand about catching smaller snakes is that they release this aweful smelling white goo out of.. Well not sure what hole it is back there but its something lol. To me it pretty much defeats the fun in catching them. Its been so long for me though, Id love to come across one again.

When they whip out with the stink, that what I call getting "musked". :wink:

I just ran across a [relatively] ginormous garden spider, with a wonderous golden-yellow hue; here are a couple pics of me holding her, just so folks don't think I'm making stuff up. (Despite being nervous of the spider, the wife helped by snapping the pics).
Good fortune,

- Icarus the Spidertamer

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 1:43 am

Need I say anything at all in here. :lol:

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 5:45 am

tok-tokkie wrote:
I find insects interesting. They have adapted to life in all sorts of inhospitable places which I admire.

A scorpion (not an insect of course) lived amicably in my office for a while - keeps out the cockroaches.

I usually won't kill the big roaches because I run out of the room in horror. But even the scorpion won amnesty in my home--- I don't know the potent of the florida scorpion's venom, but i found my cats trying to get one on my wall. I was horrified, thinking they'd get stung and die, but i didn't want to kill it, either. So I caught it in a BIG bowl and tossed it into my yard where it became a free scorpion. I do kill the little moths I find, simply because they'll make caterpillars that eat clothes--- they don't have big yucky guts.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 6:22 am

Indeed I do. Most of them creep me out.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 7:30 am

Flies irritate me when they insist on landing on my head (after having been shooed away only a couple of minutes beforehand), but I realise they have an important job to do in the local ecosystem, so they're mostly cool with me.

I think the majority of insects are fascinating, though - I love the way that ants and termites operate, for instance. I think it's amazing that such tiny creatures can do such incredible things.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 10:01 am

Trigger11 wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
Really? Because I think being against taking lives is the most disrespectful thing possible, it's completely ignoring the way nature works, one thing eats another and in turn is eaten. Things die, that's the way it goes. It's like Vegetarians who say that eating meat is immoral.

I completely agree, except that it is different to kill just for the sake of killing. If I needed to eat bugs to survive, it would different. But I am not going to kill something unless I have to for my own survival or that of my children. My wife is on her own.

Yeah.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 10:22 am

Wow this conversation moved on pretty quickly, don't know what happened there, seems like only yesterday I posted that response.

Back to the subject of war and such, yes War does play that part, you could almost say we're our own worst enemy. :lol: But there's also bacteria, viruses, parasites, worms, and such. Hell everyday people die due to their own stupidity or because they're eating too much, or not enough. We really don't need to regulate population that much, and even if we tried, assuming the tool is murder, it might do more harm than good, imagine how much people Hitler killed, then imagine how much people would be alive right now if he wasn't alive. If someone had killed him we might be worse off today than if he hadn't been around, and that's ignoring stuff like the Technological advances the war brought us, like the computer. Now with that in mind what if somebody did try regulating the population, somebody like Hitler who had an impact on our population might have been killed and for all we know the world could be in worse condition than if he hadn't been and died. It isn't as if he wasn't a bad person of course, I'm just using him as an example, he changed things and to take matters into our own hands who knows what might happen? A better example might be, if we cured a disease tomorrow that would drive somebody to become an important force in their field would the curing of the disease have been worth it?

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Bridge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2007, 10:35 am

I hate insects!! ! went on holiday a few years ago to Madeira we hired a house for two weeks and one night i woke up with a huge cockroach on my leg, they were everywhere they used to come in under the doors at night , i spent the whole two weeks spraying them with deathlac and.....crying that i wanted to go home haaaaaa.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 10:37 am

EatingPoetry wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
EatingPoetry wrote:
Trigger11 wrote:
I love all creatures, except humans. I walk with my head down to avoid crushing insects. When it rains, I sometimes spend hours picking up the worms in the road, driveway, or sidewalk to save them from being trampled by inconsiderate humans. Worms are one of the most important creatures on the planet, as they "recycle" the soil and provide it with nutrients. My favorite insect is the Praying Mantis. I love watching them and interacting with them. When a "bug" gets in my home, I calmly catch it with a giant cup and take it outside to let it be free.

Wow, I was gonna say that first sentence but I thought I'd sound too awful. I agree with all you've said.

It makes me very sad when people kill things, bugs, squirrels, etc. I don't think we can say we have respect for life if we're willing to take lives easily, even the lives of insects! If I accidentally kill a bug or a bird (I hit one with my car on the interstate once) I feel terrible about it. I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Every time I see a dead critter on the side of a road, I feel like a little piece of my soul has been lost.

I often remove insects from the sidewalks on campus where I work so people won't step on them on purpose. And I also catch insects that enter buildings and release them outside.

Really? Because I think being against taking lives is the most disrespectful thing possible, it's completely ignoring the way nature works, one thing eats another and in turn is eaten. Things die, that's the way it goes. It's like Vegetarians who say that eating meat is immoral.

Yes, I understand that death is a part of Nature. Death of a squirrel by a car is not natural.

So, um, if taking lives is so natural and respectful, then you'll agree with me that as long as we can kill bugs/critters/vermin when their population becomes too large, then we can do the same with humans? I'm not kidding.

"I don't think we can say we have respect for life if we're willing to take lives easily"

Well this quote seemed to imply that taking lives easily is disrespectful.

Bridge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2007, 10:54 am

well sorry to any innsect lovers for killing the Cockroach but it was him or me!

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2007, 4:35 pm

Bridge wrote:
well sorry to any innsect lovers for killing the Cockroach but it was him or me!

Cockroaches are awesome. I wouldn't like to have one on my leg, mind you, but I think they're one of nature's greatest success stories - heck, if there was a nuclear war tomorrow, the only two animals that would still be thriving would be cockroaches and rats. Rats breed so fast that radiation sickness would be irrelevant, and a cockroach's shell is like a portable fallout shelter, so they'd be fine. And added to that, a cockroach's body can survive for a whole year without a head!

A whole year! How amazing is that?!

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Sep 2007, 7:00 pm

We don't really have any really scary insects in the UK. :) I wont harm any either unless it's a wasp I hate them buggers. Stinging people for no reason. :x

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 11:20 am

Are you an insect lover :D or insect hater :x ?

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:52 pm

Yes! Especially flies.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 1:07 pm

I love insects! I used to tell people I wanted to be an Entomologist.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

Insects are so interesting! They're like tiny, complicated robots....or maybe aliens. Exoskeletons are soooo cool.