Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2007, 6:25 am

I will be moving out of my parents house, and in to a house-boat, in a different town.
It is not really far from my parents house, takes about 45mins to get to by public transport. However I am quite worried now.
I really want independance, and to live on a house boat near a beach! I am moving into a boat where my bf lives, and 4 other people, as well as 'guests' from other boats just popping in for dinner etc whenever they feel like it. When I was younger I used to imagine living on one of those boats, but ON MY OWN. Big difference.
I will have my own bedroom, even seprate from my boyfriends room, so i should be able to stay alone when I want to.

Still it is going to be a massive step, one which may not work out, but I still believe it will be a good thing for me to try.

How have other people coped with moving out? Any tips on how to make the experiance more enjoyable?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 7:03 am

It sounds like you can have a really nice life! You have a boyfriend I guess you must really like who likes you, you will move into a place that is pretty mobile, some trips will be easier, you can fish, etc....

As for me, frankly I welcomed my independence. My mother was one of the things that tortured me. My relationship with her might be one of the reasons that I won't just jump into a relationship, etc.... As bad as she is, I have even known some women that were worse. That isn't meant to be insulting, I HAVE known some women that seemed really nice also. My problem is that anyone that I would want can almost certainly get anyone she wants, and it seems like all the ones I have met HAVE. Of course, I am not very good with some subtle things, so my chances elsewhere are almost zero.

You ARE moving in with your boyfriend, so he ought to be willing to do some of the things you have trouble with or are uncomfortable about. Any such relationship, ESPECIALLY when you are moving in together, should be give and take. I don't know enough about you to give detailed advice, but I would welcome a situation such as the one you seem to be headed on.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2007, 9:47 am

Maybe you could establish "alone time" from the very start, doing whatever is necessary by way of explaining or compensating. If others have guests, will you be expected to join in? Personally, I'm ok if I can be alone 20 minutes out of every hour. I think I'm talking about boundaries - yours and others'. Also, morning persons and night owls, it might be nice to know ahead of time and maybe agree on 'quiet times', depending on the lifestyle. Oh - how much of the boat-housework are you expected to do? Cooking? What expenses are shared?

You have my most heartfelt envy! Enjoy, it sounds great. :)

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 9:50 am

It's something I would like to try again.

chocstar
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2007, 7:38 pm

i wish to move out soon. once i get a steady job. hopefully b4 i hit 25. i wanna move in to a 2 bedroom apartment and live life carefree

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 8:19 pm

Hey congrats!! ! I just want to say that yes, it is a big step and it seems kinda scary at first, but it was the best thing for me. I actually left home at 16 and I've never gone back. I was able to function much more effectively independently than with them. There are some major codependency issues in my family and I never fit into all of that real well...but it did always make me think maybe I couldn't handle things on my own. I could, I did, I thrived. I believe you can too, and I wish you lots of luck :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2007, 8:37 pm

I've moved into my own place last November and it was the best thing that I've ever done for myself. I have my own freedom and I can come and go, as I want. I can also be my own person and make money the way that I wish to, without having my ideas belittled. I can also decorate my place, as I see fit for me. If that means having print-outs from my favourite movies all over the place, than so be it. :)

Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2007, 11:18 pm

Hi! I don{t how I{ll ever be able to function independently, even if go to college, and get a job, I won{t be able to care for myself!! !! !!11 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!111