Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 6:02 pm

References: BehaveBet Clinical Capsule: DSM-IV-TR Classification, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, ICD-9-CM Diagnostic Codes

The text revision to the fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders presents diagnosticians a five-axis system to diagnose patients in. Now, diagnose yourself with mental disorders that have a negative impact on your life or the life of those around you. I will go first:

Axis I: Clinical Disorders; Other Conditions That May Be a Focus of Clinical Attention

• Asperger's Disorder (299.80)
  • Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive Type (314.01)
  • Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent with Atypical Features, Mild, Without Full Interepisode Recovery (296.31)
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder (300.02)
  • Social Phobia, Generalized (300.23)
  • Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (307.50)
  • Insomnia Related to Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder (307.42)
Axis II: Developmental Disorders and Personality Disorders

• Asperger's Disorder (299.80)
  • Avoidant Personality Disorder (301.82)
Axis III: General Medical Conditions That May Affect Mental Health

• Born with bump on head
Axis IV: Severity of Psychosocial Factors

• Unemployment, many attempts to gain employment
  • Living with mother, stepfather, brother, and sister
  • Returning to college in the fall, taking out a student loan, dual degree
  • Failed attempts at making friends and finding romance
Axis V: Highest Level of Functioning

• Now: Not so good
  • Highest level within the past year: Quite good

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 7:35 pm

I have 'taken tests' (totally unscientific of course), which have given me all manner of personality faults - narcissism personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, shizotypal, paranoid, shcizoid, general anxiety disorder, social phobia, depression, plus loads of others.

It is the sheer range and variety of 'disorders' that I have received in these 'diagnosis' that have tended to make me somewhat sceptical about much of it.

I should post the link to the articles in my web log about this, but I have a feeling it has all been read before.

I eschew diagnosis without the aid of properly qualified and experienced 'professionals', because as I surmised long ago, before I ever picked up a 'medical encylopaedia', or went looking for stuff on the internet; it is too easy to ascribe 'symptoms' and things to myself that I knew I didn't want to get too wrapped up in it.

It is for this reason that although I am strongly inclined to think I do have AS/ASD, I am not stating that I have AS/ASD - Undiagnosed, because I am too aware of the potential scope for misleading myself.

Oddly enough, one thing I scored low on was the one about 'Histrionic' disorder, which I think means the propensity to read a diagnosis from, say DSM-IV Service Pack 6 or whatever, and immediately find 'evidence' for the condition within myself.

For my own part, I remain sceptical about diagnosing myself because I know that I could all too easily assign myself attributions or conditions that would not stand up to close, thorough clinical scrutiny.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 6:49 pm

I agree adversial. I am probably never going to be 100% sure now that I am pdd-nos or likewise. Too much ablity to mislead oneself, even if the symptoms are documented by others.

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 6:56 pm

Aspergers d/o is not to be noted on Axis II...just so you know

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 8:06 pm

Did you know that the DSM was not available to the general public until the 1990s? You had to have a graduate degree in a related area in order to purchase it. Despite the fact that that would mean I wouldn't have access to it, I almost regret that changed. :?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/