Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 9:52 pm

I'm scared. My Garmmy had diabetes and my poppops and so do my Grandaddy and my grandma. and alot of other people in my family including great aunts and uncles and my mom's cousins have it. Well i was worried about it, so I searched it. I'm overweight and though I've been walking and trying to eat less this summer, i've not lost one pound. and I looked up symptoms and thats a symptom. I also have a purple flatishbum on my leg ( and i got another recently) that has been there since march. I've also noticed my booboos aren't healing as fast. I have blurry eyesight at times, and I drink alot of water ( because i'm alsways thristy and hungry) and I hate to say it but...I have a yeast infection between my toes and it won't go away.( well the website said skin gum or vaginal yeast infections, but it's both a skin and a yeast infection so...) so I have alot of synptoms. I told my Mom and she's going to get my a doctors appointment. and I'm scared! what if I have it??? do any of you have it? I'm SCARED!! !

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 11:25 pm

of course you're scared, sweetheart - not knowing stuff is AWFUL.

i have diabetes in my family too - i even had a very mild and temporary, similar condition as a kid - hyperglycaemia. my nan had it all the time i knew her, and it wasn't a terrible problem then, AND we're talking about 35 years ago.

diabetes is a real pain, but there is so much information and ways to manage it, whether you do it through diet or by insulin injection. i've known several people with it, and they all led normal lives, and found it relatively simple to manage their diabetes. one of them i use to teach, so he must have been about your age (i think you're about 13 - is that right?), and he didn't find it a problem. i still teachkids with it, all younger than you, and it seems to be a matter of being aware of the diabetes - it doesn't stop them from doing anything at school, as far as i can see.

it's terrifying, going to the doctor's, but if you DO have it, then at least you'll know, and you can start sorting it out.

good luck, shadesofme. let us know how you get on. and don't be scared of being scared - we're all scared of something.

PrinCessChrisTinA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2005, 11:47 pm

I'm here 4 u! !! ! :lol: My grandma had diabetes to and she's with God now. My mom sometimes tells me i'm going to get diabetes becuase I'm two sweat!! !

Hopefully it all turns out to be nothing.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 2:57 am

I can imagine you are very scared. I am at high risk for Diabetes and I believe I am developing Hypoglycemia because I feel an intense fatigue after eating carbohydrates or eat/drinking other sugars that I have only noticed within the past five months or so. It freaks me out, too. I haven't developed an extreme thirst though. But I do scar somewhat easily.

The biggest thing is DIET. Not as in "I'm going on a diet" but as in cutting down on any kinds of sugars and carbohydrates. Eating healthy food. But I suppose the doctor will tell you all this.

There is a student in my evening class with Diabetes Type I. And to look at her, she's old hand at this stuff. I know she could have many things to say to comfort you. But I can tell you one thing, she doesn't let it slow her down or stop her. She takes the shots when she needs to and doesn't give them a second thought. She seems very at ease with it. If you have developed Diabetes, be strict with keeping yourself healthy and be adament about checking your blood sugar, but other than that try to think nothing of it.

I'm sure if you could meet this fellow-student of mine, you would feel much more at ease. It seems like she respects the disease enough to look after herself. But she doesn't let it control her. I hope this for you if this is the case. Good luck!

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 7:24 am

I think I have diabetes.. Good luck to you.. and Hope all goes well.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 7:49 am

I'm at high risk for type II diabetes if not already on the way there, I have to get my blood sugar checked soon. I've been feeling very sluggish (tired), bathroom trips more and a bit more thirsty, took weeks for one of my cuts to heal on my foot. I had hoped my dad would have brought his glucose monitor when he was visiting so I could have checked but he didn't. Make sure you get things checked out. I have a strong family history of Type II Diabetes and it's not something to play around with as it can go easily undiagnosed and cause more severe problems in the long run that way.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 11:45 am

my mom's setting up an appointment. I hope I don't have it. better yet I hope that if i do have i don't need to stick a needle in me...I had a friend once who didn't.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 1:56 pm

Type II doesn't normally involve injections normally, most just take pills unless it's really out of control.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 5:32 pm

My father developed Type II and had to give himself shots once or twice a day. However, I don't know what makes the difference between having to perform injections or not. Probably those cases which are more extreme or something. I don't know.

From what I could tell, the needle was incredibly small and my classmate did it in the fat of the thigh/hip which has less nerves so that it isn't painful. I have to get birth control shots every third month because of a disorder to which that is the treatment and it doesn't hurt at all for me. And that needle is longer than the Diabetes needle from what I could tell.

Though I think for the first couple times I'd ask someone else to give me the shot. I don't mind shots, but I would be hesitant giving it to myself.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 6:04 pm

Sophist, I believe the injections end up being when you let the diabetes out of control past the point where the pills are effective especially in those that don't control their weight either. My father was told he'd have to take insulin injections if he didn't get better control of his diabetes and weight.

computerwidow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2005, 1:10 am

I was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. I have a strong family history of type II diabetes. I'm certain that I must have had diabetes for a long time, I kept going to the doctor complaining about feeling generally unwell, and far too tired, with excessive thirst and frequent urination, and he kept trying to refer me to counseling, and telling me to get more exercize. I switched doctors, and guess what...

My new doctor diagnosed diabetes with a simple blood test, put me on the South Beach Diet and said that we will see what happens after I follow the diet for several months. He said that the low-fat "food pyramid" diet that my previous doctor wanted me to follow was not a good diet for a diabetic. He said that these days there are better pills for type II diabetes than what was available a few years ago, so I should not worry too much about having to give myself insulin shots in the future. What I'm expecting, with type II, is strict dieting, and starting the pills at some point in the future when the diet is not enough.

I would recommend to anyone who suspects diabetes to eat plenty of protein (good quality lean meats, especially) and strictly limit anything made with sugar, potatoes, or white flour -- no white bread, pasta, noodles, or rice. If you just have to have a sweet treat once in awhile, make it a small dessert after a high-protein meal. Don't skip the protein. (And, ShadesOfMe, I've been losing weight like crazy since starting the South Beach Diet. I only got fatter and fatter on the Food Pyramid.)

Type I diabetes is scarier, ShadesOfMe, and I really understand that you are scared. But remember that diabetes can be managed, and the sooner you begin to manage it, the better your health will be. Whatever else, the doctor should be able to give you something to clear up that yeast infection on your feet. And do take very good care of your feet, that's an important issue with diabetes.

I will be thinking of you and hope you will let us know how this goes.