Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 1:34 am

Nebraska state senator sues God

Nice thought, but it's been tried before... it had to be thrown out because they couldn't find a way to serve god with a summons...

David1981
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2007, 3:43 am

In order to sue someone, they have to exist.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 4:32 am

WHAT THE %$&£$"£*^$"(%(%&"&%$ <world's longest swear word

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 5:40 am

David1981 wrote:

You can file against anybody, real or imagined. Did you look at the article. The headline is very misleading and the photo is very amusing.

'"Th[e federal] lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my [state] lawsuit is appropriately filed," Chambers said. "People might call it frivolous but if they read it they'll see there are very serious issues I have raised."'

The press appears to have no interest in the issues raised by the federal lawsuit the senator is so unhappy about. The press chooses to ridicule the senator rather than point out the merits of the federal lawsuit and the shortcomings of the judge named in that suit.

Sounds like flame warriors attacking each other instead of addressing the issues.

- Emerson

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 6:57 am

It sounds like that Australian movie: The Man Who Sued God

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:00 am

pandabear wrote:
It sounds like that Australian movie: The Man Who Sued God

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

Hey, I was gonna mention that!

On sabbatical...

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2007, 7:22 am

David1981 wrote:

The Pope does claim to be God on earth, so the church must pay. Plus you can sue the dead :P

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 2:15 am

There was an episode about that on Boston Legal.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2007, 2:54 am

Ya, i think the senator is just making a point, i saw the article and thought that was odd. Well... I know I definatly beleive in God, and I wonder how God will respond to such a suit. WHo knows, maby he will show up to court, heh.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 6:34 am

Private Eye has a more funny story about God being sued:

Quote:
"God and I closed a contract when I was baptised" Pavel Mirecca told the public proseucutor in Timisoara, "but God has not kept his side of the bargain. He was supposed to protect me from all evils, but instead He gave me to Satan, who encouraged me to kill. Under the Romanian criminal code, God has clearly committed numerous criminal offences, including fraud, breach of trust, abuse of a position of authority, desertion, and misappropriation of goods. And HE has accepted my prayers and sacrifical offerings without providing any kind of services in exchange. He has failed to deliver on His promises as advertised, and am therefore demanding financial compensation for all the money I have spent on candles and church services, from God, resident in heaven, and his representatives in Romania, the Orthodox Church"

Mircea who is serving a twenty-year sentence for murder, later saw his lawsuit rejected by the Public Prosecutor. "We could not find God's home address" a spokesman told reporters "and as He has no legal address, He cannot be taken to court" On behalf of the Romanian Orthodox Church, spokeswoman Constantin Stocia added "God does not act without our will, and people have the freedom to choose between good and evil. I have asked the prison chaplin to make this clear to Mr Mirecca. If that fails, the warders will deal with it"

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 6:59 am

I may not be reading it correctly, but it sounds like the ROC feels a little vindictive.

- Emerson

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 7:34 am

MrMark wrote:
I may not be reading it correctly, but it sounds like the ROC feels a little vindictive.

Youve read it correctly. The article was originally published in the Romanian Press.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 Sep 2007, 1:37 pm

i wonder if you can sue yourself. it wouldnt suprise me, taking people to court real or imagined is getting out of hand. and the first person to say "this is just democracy in action" get a punch in the balls! :P

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 1:56 pm

hmmm... if multiple personality disorder weren't a sham, i could see one personality of a person suing for the actions of another...

but this case has made me think... even if god can't be sued, there may be a case against every church in america for systematic extortion and fraud... possibly a rico case...

if god can't be summoned, them someone who claims the authority of god would be hard pressed to produce the only witness who could verify said authority...

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 2:37 pm

More waste of our taxpayer dollars over silliness.

18:33. Press 'Return'

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2007, 3:32 pm

Agreed.
First of all, what made said senator do such a thing?