Did you do well on SAT/ACT tests?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 9:58 am

Just curious as to how AS people do on SAT/ACT tests -- especially now that so much writing and explanation of work is required.

Kris

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 10:03 am

I took it 10 years ago, and I did very well on it.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2007, 10:05 am

I only took the ACT and that was when it was IQ based and not informationally based. I scored in the top 1%tile in all categories.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 10:27 am

I did pretty well on my ACT/SAT tests when I took them a few years back. I sucked at the English(ACT)/Writing(SAT) section but did very well on other sections.

BeyondInfinity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2007, 11:05 am

I had perfect scores on several sections... but whatever...

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 11:12 am

BeyondInfinity wrote:
I had perfect scores on several sections... but whatever...
same here

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2007, 1:04 pm

I got at 26 on the ACT and a 1730 on the SAT; both of these scores are quite above average so I've been told.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 2:09 pm

2390 SAT, 35 ACT. And what does that mean? Absolutely nothing. I have had a lot of trouble with the writing sections, though. Not necessarily in thinking of something decent to write, but in physically being able to write it down halfway-legibly. The low essay score was the only reason for 10 points off on SAT.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 2:15 pm

Aspiegirl89 wrote:
and a 1730 on the SAT;

Orwell wrote:
2390 SAT

I had heard that the SAT had been revised in terms of format somewhat recently...what exactly did that do to change the scoring? The maximum used to be 1600.

Took both the ACT and the SAT around six years ago. Did well on both.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 2:24 pm

shadexiii wrote:
Aspiegirl89 wrote:
and a 1730 on the SAT;

Orwell wrote:
2390 SAT

I had heard that the SAT had been revised in terms of format somewhat recently...what exactly did that do to change the scoring? The maximum used to be 1600.

Took both the ACT and the SAT around six years ago. Did well on both.

They added an 800-point writing section, so now it's 2400 maximum. The writing section is divided into multiple choice questions over basic English grammar (find the mistake in a sentence etc) and a somewhat controversial essay section for which test-takers are given 25 minutes to plan and write an essay off of whatever random prompt they give you.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 2:28 pm

Orwell wrote:
The writing section is divided into multiple choice questions over basic English grammar (find the mistake in a sentence etc)

Wasn't this part of the "Verbal" section already? I honestly can't recall...
Orwell wrote:
and a somewhat controversial essay section for which test-takers are given 25 minutes to plan and write an essay off of whatever random prompt they give you.

Oh good, a subjectively graded section of what is supposed to be a standardized test. That's what screwed me over in the GRE.

Well, partially. Some of the words included in the verbal sections were words that people never have a reason to use. Words that you would get just fine if you were an English major, but that you would laugh about after the fact if you had majored in most any of the sciences.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 3:08 pm

shadexiii wrote:
Orwell wrote:
The writing section is divided into multiple choice questions over basic English grammar (find the mistake in a sentence etc)

Wasn't this part of the "Verbal" section already? I honestly can't recall...
Orwell wrote:
and a somewhat controversial essay section for which test-takers are given 25 minutes to plan and write an essay off of whatever random prompt they give you.

Oh good, a subjectively graded section of what is supposed to be a standardized test. That's what screwed me over in the GRE.

Well, partially. Some of the words included in the verbal sections were words that people never have a reason to use. Words that you would get just fine if you were an English major, but that you would laugh about after the fact if you had majored in most any of the sciences.

"Vebal" was replaced with "critical reading" that mainly covers comprehension of passages. They also got rid of analogies. I'm just glad the MCAT is going to be computer-based. My typing is so much more legible than my handwriting. Yeah, the subjectivity of the essay section sucks, which is why many colleges aren't taking it too seriously- if they want subjective evaluations of writing, they would prefer to do it themselves, and for it to be something you actually have time to do a decent job on.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 4:55 pm

Well I did average on SAT and got a 21 on the ACT. I still got in to Mason for other reasons as well.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2007, 5:10 pm

Did well on ACT (forgot score).
Got 1310 on SAT (700 or 710 verbal & 600 or 610 on math).
Those were in 1990, when I was in high school-before new essay section/score was added.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2007, 7:09 pm

I didn't do very well on my ACT.

I think my combined score was 22 or 23.

I got a 18 in both English Sections and 30something on Math and 25 on Science

I fail to see how ACT or SAT scores in any remote way actually measure real intelligence?

They don't- You take a test about useless stuff and they expect you to do well on it so that you will get into the best college possible.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2007, 7:25 pm

I did not do very well on my SAT's at all. I think my total score with verbal and math was maybe around 700 to 750. I don't remember the exact scores. I took it twice. The second time I did do a tiny bit better but still in the same range.

I think I took the ACT test but I don't think I did well on that one either.

I never got high scores on standardized tests no matter how much I prepare.

Luckily I always had distant to very good grades in school.