Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

skaterdan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2007, 10:48 pm

My name is Dan and I am a telemaketer.

30 hour weeks calling people that do not want to participate in my boring survey.

Good people, good hours, good management, good location, but bad pay and work.

I have found bad people, bad hours, bad management, bad location=good pay and work

Figures right??

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 10:49 pm

so how do you cope with the reactions of the people you call?

I did something similar once in my life and I especially hated calling homes asking for the husband when he had been dead for a few days or months. :roll:

skaterdan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2007, 11:25 pm

[quote="wsmac"]so how do you cope with the reactions of the people you call?

skaterdan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2007, 11:29 pm

Well, coping is simply unnecessary. I have developed the ability to become detached from the outcome. If I get cussed out or told to get a real job, I remain unphased. Not letting others get under your skin is the key.

skaterdan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2007, 11:30 pm

Well, coping is simply unnecessary. I have developed the ability to become detached from the outcome. If I get cussed out or told to get a real job, I remain unphased. Not allowing others to get under your skin is the key.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 12:14 am

Wow!

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 12:16 am

Wow!

I figured this was two for one Tuesday or something :D

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 3:15 am

skaterdan wrote:
Not allowing others to get under your skin is the key.

I would LOVE to have the ability to not let crap get under my skin. Instead... the slightest insult irritates me to no end. It's not good.

But how DOES one "just let go"...?

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2007, 6:44 am

BlueMax wrote:
skaterdan wrote:
Not allowing others to get under your skin is the key.

I would LOVE to have the ability to not let crap get under my skin. Instead... the slightest insult irritates me to no end. It's not good.

But how DOES one "just let go"...?

The trick for me is to think about whether the insulter is insulting me personally or something else. I would probably laugh if I worked as a telemarketer, and people insulted me. They don't know me, they'll never see me, and anything they think about me is almost guaranteed to be wrong. In fact in situations like that I WANT people to fly off the handle, it's so amusing to see people come unglued, and when I hang up the phone my life goes on, but I know they're still angry.

If someone I know insults me, or is mean, it's a totally different story. That hurts. But if it's someone that doesn't know me, I look at it like it's a small child calling me a name. You don't get offended when a two year old calls you a "boogerhead" or something, do you? Probably not because (A) you know you're not a boogerhead, and (B) you know the insulter has no idea of what they're talking about. The key is to learn which situations you can detach yourself from (the person wasn't yelling at "skaterdan" he was yelling at "the telemarketer". It wouldn't matter if the Pope called offering a new low rate on a credit card, he's going to be yelled at.

And skaterdan, yes, it's unfortunate that good working conditions frequently involve less money than bad ones. That's the tradeoff. If it were supposed to be fun, they wouldn't pay you, you'd pay them, and it wouldn't be called "work". The trick is to find a situation that has conditions you like, and advance within that field. Payrates will increase with experience and proven performance, that's something you can control. Poor conditions will almost always be poor, no matter how you progress. I worked in a filthy coal power plant, and while I made more money that I knew what to do with (literally) I got out of there in order to go to school to be able to get a job with better conditions.

Good luck!