Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Does life exist elsewhere in our universe?
Yes, but no intelligent life, only microbes and such 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, there is intelligent life, however, due to the vastness of space, contact is not possible 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Yes, there is intelligent life, however, due to the vastness of space, contact is not possible 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Yes, there is intelligent life, contact is possible but has not happened yet 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Yes, there is intelligent life, contact is possible but has not happened yet 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Yes, we have been contacted by other intelligent life forms 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, we have been contacted by other intelligent life forms 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I am an alien and am replying to this poll from the mother ship 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I am an alien and am replying to this poll from the mother ship 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 6:11 pm

I have to admit that I am somewhat of a hardened sceptic when is comes to the "supernatural", however, as our understanding of our universe increases I think that we are begining to realize that life may not be a rare phenomon and may be more along the lines of a property of matter.

I interested to hear what people here think/feel about this topic. Is there other life out there? and if so have they visited us?

stlf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 6:28 pm

where did my No option in the poll go!! !...anyway...to vote for "No life is something exclusive to the Earth...simply post "No""

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:10 pm

I think that there is intelligent life, but at the same time, several things are going on. First and Foremost, Space very vast, and Radio waves only travel at 186,000 Miles per second. I belive that the furthest thing that we have found from us is still 15 Billion Light years away. There's a LOT of Ground to cover.

Secondly, we've only had Wireless communication for about 100 years now. Other intelligent life may still be in their Stone age, or Early Iron Ages. Still others may have deleted themselves from existance via global nuke warefare or something similar. We may also be interested in finding intelligent life, and it might exist nearby. If by the dualistic slim chances that it does exist nearby, and that it is technologically advanced enough to have wireless technology, how can we be sure that it be interested 'getting to know the neighbors'?

Another note as well, What if the intelligent life not only has wireless technology, but also has a society that is incredibly more advanced than ours.?--I'd like to think that it wouldn't want to disturb the savages that have just discovered radio technology.

Will we ever know for sure? --Maybe, but not in my lifetime.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 7:10 pm

I was just going to ask "Where's no?". The probability of life appearing from nothing is so overwhelmingly low that I can come to no other conclusion than creation. So many things are unexplained, the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe, the origin of the universe, imbalanced chirality in organic compounds, etcetera. And that's without even going into the problems with evolution.

Nicolai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2005, 8:04 pm

Tim_p wrote:
The probability of life appearing from nothing is so overwhelmingly low

Yes, but to obtain the average number of places where live exists you´ll have to multiply this change with the number of places where this could happen and this number is overwwhelmingly great.

Our own existance points in the direction that this variable is not very small, but it may be 100 in which case it is almost certain that live exist elsewhere. I may be 0.01 in which case it´s almost certain that we are the only one here.....

But even then, if live appears from nothing elsewhere, in which stadium this live will be at "this moment". What I know of the relativity theory, I think you can´t even speak of "this moment".

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 8:20 pm

Ah, yes that is the tricky part of the argument. The reason for my belief is that the things I listed are beyond unlikely, imbalanced chirality is possible though phenomonally unlikey, but the imbalance between matter and antimatter simply cannot be explained.

I freely admit that my argument is inductive and not deductive and therefore not absolute.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2005, 8:21 pm

I think there is a very high probability of 'life' - be that presapient amoeba or life comparable to ourselves, but I think that there are a number of factors militating against contact.

One is the sheer vastness of space, which given our own paltry attempts to probe beyond our own solar system seems to indicate that expending planetary resources to 'reach out' could be massively costly and time consuming.

Another possibility is that in the unlikely event of our radio signals getting far enough away to indicate evidence of 'life', such life as there may be out there could very well decide to steer a wide berthe.

One of my favouriate Sci-Fi scenarios is the advent of contact between humanity and a benevolent extraterrestrial race. Alas, I am not resigned to the idea that such a thing is extremely unlikely to happen. And besides, if such a thing took place, we would probably be helplessly in thrall to their superior technology (think about what it would take for them to get her in the first instance), such an eventuality could massively demoralise us as a species and hasten our demise.