Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 12:28 am

Not so autistic as to be immediately recognized as disabled but just autistic enough to be shunned and ignored.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 12:30 am

yeah, that's the bad part in a nutshell

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 1:58 am

have you ever noticed how NT's seem to have an aspie sene? where they can tell yuor aspie and hurt you, very badly?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 1:59 am

hmmm. i don't tend to get shunned or ignored...

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 2:48 am

I have been told I am funny-- and in a good way.

I'm not often shunned, but I do many times still feel awkward.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 9:01 am

NeantHumain wrote:
Not so autistic as to be immediately recognized as disabled but just autistic enough to be shunned and ignored.

Hmmm...

Guess I am somewhere between the two. Is there a name for that? :SHRUG:

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 9:05 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
have you ever noticed how NT's seem to have an aspie sene? where they can tell yuor aspie and hurt you, very badly?

I notice that when they know there are certain things to avoid doing around me that they seem to try really hard to do those things. My companion told that some people like to "light the fuse just to watch the fireworks." After she explained that, it made a lot of sense.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 9:06 am

The trick is to try not to become the fireworks, then?

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 9:24 am

Prometheus wrote:
The trick is to try not to become the fireworks, then?

That suggestion may work for some, but not for me (I "have no internal calming mechanism and am unable to regulate emotional responses" - part of my DX) and the people who like to light the fuse are the ones who know this. Once the fuse is lit it's too late and then they get mad at me and wonder why I get upset.

My doctor has told my family that suggestions like this do not work for me and that alternative methods of circumventing disaster has to be utilized (one reason I have a caregiver). :SHRUG:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 11:53 am

DeepThought wrote:
My companion told that some people like to "light the fuse just to watch the fireworks."

Wow... that's nicely put!! ! It's also a good way to explain why aspies often get bullied in schools.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 2:23 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
DeepThought wrote:
My companion told that some people like to "light the fuse just to watch the fireworks."

Wow... that's nicely put!! ! It's also a good way to explain why aspies often get bullied in schools.

Your reply almost instantly made me think that my companion may be more insightful than I give her credit for.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2005, 4:40 pm

DeepThought wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

I notice that when they know there are certain things to avoid doing around me that they seem to try really hard to do those things. My companion told that some people like to "light the fuse just to watch the fireworks." After she explained that, it made a lot of sense.

When I was seventeen years old and a junior in high school, I took a foods class as an elective; I like eating food, so I thought it'd be fun. I didn't know anyone in the class, so I wound up with a rude slacker and a disagreeable woman for my group (not such a good combination), and I basically had to argue with them half the time to get them to do any work so that we wouldn't have to stay after class because we were still cleaning. There were other people who asked me if I wanted to hang out with them, and I said no, not rudely or anything like, "Nah, you people are idiots! Why would I ever hang out with you?" Anyway, somehow they took my saying no for an insult and chose to bully me. One time the moved my bookbag, and I couldn't find it and asked them where they hid it. They moved it, all right, but it was in plain sight! It was sitting on a table in the open, but I didn't notice it there. On the foods class field trip they were harrassing a girl (saying rude stuff to her), so I wrote something to the effect of, "Shut the hell up!" held it up, and said, "Read this!" Apparently, a couple of girls found this admirable.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 2:30 pm

Bullies want to "light the fireworks", huh? Oh, how about I light some fireworks...........up their "rockets red glare"! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 6:59 am

I think some people have liked to stir me over the years as usually I'm very quiet and passive but unfortunately have a temper underneath that. I seem to have a lot of trouble regulating emotions once they are stirred up and that has caused a few unpleasant scenes at times. :x

Also, I think some people do ignore and leave me out, maybe because they can't pigeonhole me in any way - I would be an unknown quantity. I ignore some of them back, particularly when they are telling rude jokes that I don't think funny (as opposed to other rude jokes that could be funny). Some of the people I work with say some really off things. :evil:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 7:15 am

Pandora wrote:
I think some people have liked to stir me over the years as usually I'm very quiet and passive but unfortunately have a temper underneath that. I seem to have a lot of trouble regulating emotions once they are stirred up and that has caused a few unpleasant scenes at times. :x

Also, I think some people do ignore and leave me out, maybe because they can't pigeonhole me in any way - I would be an unknown quantity. I ignore some of them back, particularly when they are telling rude jokes that I don't think funny (as opposed to other rude jokes that could be funny). Some of the people I work with say some really off things. :evil:

What is pigeonhole?

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 7:34 am

Aspie1 wrote:
DeepThought wrote:

A better way to explain it is that the bullies are dumbass apes who try to appear human who deserve to have a nail shot into their body every drum beat in the Napalm Death song "Silence is Defeaning". And that the Aspies are awesome and are trying to get on with life.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.