Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 7:45 am

LOL

I often use the term "Neanderthal" when discussing the more ape-like species of upright walkers.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 7:46 am

DeepThought wrote:
LOL

I often use the term "Neanderthal" when discussing the more ape-like species of upright walkers.

Good good. I hate bullies. I really would enjoy killing them.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 7:48 am

Sophist wrote:
I have been told I am funny-- and in a good way.

I'm not often shunned, but I do many times still feel awkward.

Yeah I've been told the same at times other times I get called a snob and too serious... but I'm not always shunned, some do that but others don't but it doesn't lessen the awkwardness of it all. I can be stuck in a large crowd and see feel alone and all.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 11:31 am

The thing being described here sounds remarkably similar to what I always used to think of as 'passive-aggressive sadism', whereby someone would go out of their way to irritate and provoke you, by doing things you didn't like, just to 'get a rise' out of you. What I found galling about this was that even in the Work Place, the person/people who did it were never challenged in their behaviour.

The most recent case was in my last job in that ended in 2002. In this job, there was one particular 'person' who took it upon himself to say my mind was 'weak' because his idea of fun and games and teasing generally annoyed me intensely, even then, I wondered about why it was that I was so easy to annoy and to 'wind up' and I also noticed that if he tried it on with others, he would get as good as he gave, but when I got angry about it, it was always considered that I was somehow 'in the wrong'. It was useful for the managers (who hated me), since my getting stressed and angry made it harder for me to function effectively, which gave them far greater control over the situation; he got away with it because bully culture is best seen as delegation in some work environments.

This is a recurrent theme in my life and I have written about it in my Blog under the guise of 'aporia', which means 'selective blindness' which is what I seem to exhibit sometimes in social or group situations. This could be Social Ineptitude, but I have an incredibly short temper when I am getting 'teased and tormented', because of the arbitrary and senseless rules which proscribe how somebody on the receiving end of such bullying is 'allowed' to retaliate. The rules appear to be rigged to the Bully's advantage as per usual and this is not surprising really, since the gamesmanship and jostling for 'prestige' is a precursor to the greater competition involved in getting through life.

Oddly enough, I have never been inclined to want to torment others for the sake of it, though there seem to be plenty who are inclined to do this.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2005, 3:52 am

adversarial wrote:
The thing being described here sounds remarkably similar to what I always used to think of as 'passive-aggressive sadism', whereby someone would go out of their way to irritate and provoke you, by doing things you didn't like, just to 'get a rise' out of you. What I found galling about this was that even in the Work Place, the person/people who did it were never challenged in their behaviour.

The most recent case was in my last job in that ended in 2002. In this job, there was one particular 'person' who took it upon himself to say my mind was 'weak' because his idea of fun and games and teasing generally annoyed me intensely, even then, I wondered about why it was that I was so easy to annoy and to 'wind up' and I also noticed that if he tried it on with others, he would get as good as he gave, but when I got angry about it, it was always considered that I was somehow 'in the wrong'. It was useful for the managers (who hated me), since my getting stressed and angry made it harder for me to function effectively, which gave them far greater control over the situation; he got away with it because bully culture is best seen as delegation in some work environments.

This is a recurrent theme in my life and I have written about it in my Blog under the guise of 'aporia', which means 'selective blindness' which is what I seem to exhibit sometimes in social or group situations. This could be Social Ineptitude, but I have an incredibly short temper when I am getting 'teased and tormented', because of the arbitrary and senseless rules which proscribe how somebody on the receiving end of such bullying is 'allowed' to retaliate. The rules appear to be rigged to the Bully's advantage as per usual and this is not surprising really, since the gamesmanship and jostling for 'prestige' is a precursor to the greater competition involved in getting through life.

Oddly enough, I have never been inclined to want to torment others for the sake of it, though there seem to be plenty who are inclined to do this.

Give me this guys name and address and I will kill him for free.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.