did anyone else run away from home as a kid or teen?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2007, 6:49 pm

What happened when you ran away from home and what were your reasons? I posted this question in the women's forum but it was the wrong forum.

I did twice. Once when I was 4. I ended up going up the block to a neighbors house and told them I needed a place to stay because I had a long trip from the jungle. They let me eat and then sent me back home.

Second time was because someone in my family told me they were going to send me to the salon to get my hair cut when I was 10 or 11. I didn't want to go so I ran away and called them on the pay phone to tell them why i was running away. They assured me they would not send me to the salon to get my haircut but ended up sneakily doing it that day.

I refuse to go get my hair cut at a professional salon to this day and cut my own hair.

(edited)

hmm...actually 3 times. once when I was 16 too but that felt more like a permanent move than running away although it was actually running away.

Last edited by Kitsy on 27 Sep 2007, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2007, 6:51 pm

No, I never did. Admittedly, I wrote a few stories about doing so, but never had the nerve to do it myself.

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2007, 6:53 pm

I ran away 4 times. One time I was gone for nearly 5 days. No amber alert in my day. I came back home eventually.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 6:55 pm

2 or 3 times, but only into local fields.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 7:14 pm

I tried running away repeatedly as a very young child (like 5 years old). I finally left at 16. My life only got better from there.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 7:28 pm

Ive done it numerous times throughout my lifetime. Most of the times I didnt get as far as I wanted.

liberty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2007, 7:56 pm

Once when I was about 5. Many, MANY times as a teen...to friends' houses, to the woods a few blocks way (sometimes for days at a time), anyplace I could find to not be at home. I stayed at school till the last teacher left for the day more often than not. I _HATED_ being at home.

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 8:20 pm

I did.

For several months at a time, each time.

At the time I felt very confident in my reasons for leaving and did not even give it a second thought, really.

I thought my mother was a bloody lunatic and well, nobody DESERVES to live with one of those!! 8O

I even walked into a children's service office and asked them to take me once also! :oops: :oops:

They did.

*shakes head*

I eventually left for good at 16, as well.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Sep 2007, 8:59 pm

I've ran away from home two times.

The first time I was 11 years old and it was because my mothers partner at the time was a psycho. I was away for about 12 hours and the police ended up finding me.

The second time was when I was 14 and it was because I was going to kill myself. I took packets of pills in my back pack and left the house. I was gone for about hours before I ended up in the hospital getting my stomach pumped...not nice :(

username88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 9:04 pm

I cant stand my family :evil: I wish I could run away again but Im too addicted to my computer :/
f**k it.. Watching Planet of the Apes now.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Sep 2007, 9:20 pm

I ran away at age 15, and took a bus to another state. As it grew dark, I panicked and turned myself into the police, who arranged my return home. I ran away again at 16, and this time it ended badly. My mother allowed her boyfriend to assault me when I returned, to teach me a lesson :roll: . :x

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 10:24 pm

Kitsy wrote:
Second time was because someone in my family told me they were going to send me to the salon to get my hair cut when I was 10 or 11. I didn't want to go so I ran away and called them on the pay phone to tell them why i was running away. They assured me they would not send me to the salon to get my haircut but ended up sneakily doing it that day.

I refuse to go get my hair cut at a professional salon to this day and cut my own hair.

You have every right to be pissed at them for that. If they gave you their word that you wouldn't go to the salon, what they did was betrayal.

As for me, I never ran away, but I have at times told my mom "Hey look, I'm going for a walk for a few hours. Don't bother me until i get back." She lets me go and I go away and come back later... end of story...

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 1:25 am

I never ran away from home, but I fantasized about it when I was a kid. My parents were very strict with me, and they argued constantly. Running away gave me an escape from it. I envisioned running away, and living alone right outside the urban area (I lived in a small city), which would be close to city conveniences, but isolated enough to hide from people who mistreated me. I planned to bring with me only two things: my stuffed dog, and my portable cassette player. From my perspective, it was a world of utmost happiness: I imagined myself walking around wherever I pleased, playing with animals in parks, doing odd jobs for people to earn money, buying whatever I wished in stores, and riding around in buses to stay warm. However, my plan was never implemented. I knew that my parents would get the police involved right away, and since the cops are very clever and sneaky, my plan would be thwarted very quickly.

Sure, this plan smacks of homelessness, but it offered things living at home didn't offer: happiness and independence. I now laugh a little that back then, I didn't fully realize that there would still be people around me, even though technically I would be running away. You might ask: "why didn't you fantasize about running away and living with relatives?" Because I knew that they would contact my parents, and arrange for me to be brought back home, even if they did let me stay for a day or two. So moving in with relatives was pretty much out of the question.

Now at age 24, I have my own apartment, and I feel happier than ever before, with a few obvious differences: I live in a suburb, I don't care for wild animals in parks (I still like dogs and cats, though), I have a regular job, and I stay warm inside my own apartment.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 28 Sep 2007, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2007, 10:15 am

I almost ran away once when I was around 10. I don't remember any reason why, but I do remember writing a letter and putting it in my backpack and starting to plan on things that I needed to take with me. It takes me forever to plan out something like that and in the mean time someone found my backpack with the letter I wrote.
I was terrified that they found that letter before I left and had to make up some really lame excuse about it. I was to frightened to leave after that knowing that they would know that I had run away. It doesn't make much sense now when I look back at it. I don't think I would have run away for long, but probably would have made it to a forest preserve and camped there till I ran out of food or the park rangers picked me up.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2007, 11:35 am

The closest I have ever gotton was when I was 17! SO far the oldest when I first ran away on here!

I got caught the night b4, i came back from my buddies b-day party in a patch of woods down by my school, tons of ppl were their and a few vehicles. Well me and many others eventually got caught and so my parents took driving privlages away as punishment (this time I only had a permit). A few other things transpired and while they left the house for the afternoon I found the spair keys and i took off in my parents van. I drove to those woods (DUH!) and parked their, thinking i could chill in the van for a few days.

I chilled for about half and hr, then it occured to me that my parents would call the police and report I had stollen their van, so I rushed back home and they never knew to this day because they were not home yet, and only my sister knew.

mojo123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2007, 11:41 am

I ran away on numerous occasions between the ages of 10 - 14. I couldn't understand why I was being punished by my alcoholic single mom. I used to sleep in newspaper bins and shoplift for food and clothing. I eventually had enough shoplifting and I broke out of my juvenile detention hall when I was 14 by climbing out through the roof. I was locked up for 10 months in a maximum security boys prison. My mom moved to Texas while I was in there. When I got out, I never ran away again until I was 17 and I never looked back.

I take rispadal, and have anxiety pills. I also use fish oil and st. john wort as supplements now. Life is better and I have a job and a driver's license.

mojo123