Special screenings for autistic people/ movie theater.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 7:13 pm

A Norwich cinema will have special screenings for children and adults with autism when it opens next month. Cinema City, in St Andrew's Street, reopens on October 19 with three screens, 350 seats and a café bar after a £4.5m refurbishment. view article

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 5:44 am

It seems like a good idea, and a good way to fill a theatre that otherwise would be empty... it would be nice to see some first run movies there tho... shrek the 3rd is out on dvd already...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 6:22 am

This might be OK for people with more severe autism but many Aspies (myself included) getting irritated because we cannot hear the very film we have paid to see. Also, the films they plan on showing are not new releases.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Sep 2007, 6:33 am

Tequila wrote:
This might be OK for people with more severe autism but many Aspies (myself included) getting irritated because we cannot hear the very film we have paid to see. Also, the films they plan on showing are not new releases.

They're also planning to leave the lights on. How do they expect the audience to stay focused on the movie? I already get distracted by the safety lights on the floor of normal movie theaters.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 6:38 am

Yah, i think too many broad assumtions are made here... people don't realize that we all have different things we can't stand... there will be more unhappy people than happy if this goes through as planned...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 7:25 am

I think they probably only asked some very severely autistic people - if, indeed, they did ask anyboidy.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2007, 9:02 am

The noise level of some movies is enough to blast me out of the room. That and a host of other distractions would be enough to drive a person nuts.