Parents challenged by needs of children and IEP

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 4:33 pm

Parents challenged by needs of children
Caring for a child with special needs can be exhausting and time-consuming in and of itself. Still, parents need to make every effort to understand their children's needs and rights. They are ultimately responsible for their children's development. Many parents need help tackling this challenging job. Talking to parents of other special needs children is one of the best ways to learn how to navigate the special education maze
view article

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 5:21 pm

My school district had a good special ed. program, fortunately. However, it does suck to hear how some people with learning disabilities aren't given all that they're entitled to or are just being rushed through the system. It sometimes feels like in public schools in general that all they're worried about in most districts is if the student has enough credits to graduate and pass an assessment test (like the WASL for example). It should be about if the student learns the material and could apply it to their lives. A high school diploma doesn't mean what it used to anymore unfortunately, and educational demands are getting higher! Anyways, that went off topic! lol I was just saying how it sucks that some districts and even feds aren't fulfilling their obligation/requirement to make the learning environment better for developmentally disabled kids.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.