Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2007, 9:56 am

After having problems with (and subsequently dropping) a chemistry course, I had been rethinking whether I should continue majoring in geology.

I went to see a counselor a few weeks ago for career guidance, and to discuss other things going on (see my post entitled "I finally snapped today" in the Haven). Last week, I took a career test that measured interests and personality.

The career paths that most closely matched my interests and personality were:

Interior design, graphic arts, visual arts, architecture (both buildings and landscape), IT, and finance.

Tim

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Oct 2007, 10:52 am

Well maybe you should do what the career interest test said.
But are those what you really interested in or is the test incorrect?

If you like geology then I suggest to keep on doing it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:25 pm

I did a thread about the graphic design field. As for the others, IT is probably the only one not either competitive, or affected by the housing industry problems here in the U.S.

Of course, sticking with geology is always an option.

Tim

lonelyLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2007, 8:25 pm

I've taken 4 different career tests, and they all yielded different results:
-one said that I should become a farmer because I love animals and nature
-another said I should be a liberal arts major because I am interested in languages/cultures
-the third said I should go into the sciences, without any justification
-the fourth said to go into business, because I set long-term goals and I work hard to achieve them.

my point is not to take those tests too seriously. I started college as a history major, then switched to psychology, and now I am trying to get into something quantitative. Go after your passion and don't let tests get in your way. and just because you're not doing well in one class doesn't mean you should change fields or that you'll never be good at it.

Gallupstr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2019, 6:52 am

I hope this article that I found on Reddit would be useful to you, as it was useful to me. I helped me to change my role at job, I started to gain new skills and live a happier life.

One day I was scrolling the internet to investigate how can I improve my CV and Cover Letter. I discovered many topics on how can you improve yourself. I have read many motivational and productivity books, but a problem didn't solve. I still couldn't find a nice vacancy for my career path.

But then, I found an interesting article where I first heard about the HIGH5 test and HIGH5, StrengthsFinder 2.0, VIA Survey, MBTI methodologies to identify your core strengths.

I used the likin the article to find the test. It was really free, but the professionalism of the data was undeniable! I spent near 1 hour answering the questions which were easy to answer.

I identified my core strengths and realized that I am also good at analysis. I was working as a usual engineer, but now I've already studied a lot in Cloud technologies. I work as a Cloud Engineer and this kind of job really consists of analysis and engineering.

So, maybe you'd really find it useful.

Here is the article from Reddit:

Quote:
Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions of our life and it is natural to feel confused or even stressed about it. We are constantly bugged by relatives, parents and friends firing the same question day after day, “What after 10th?” or “What after 12th?” or “What plans after graduation, beta?”, or even the famous “Which stream will you be selecting after 10th?”

If you still don’t know your best strengths, you should try a Career test. You can find many free career tests online. In my own opinion, HIGH5 Strengths Test is the free career test. Read more about career tests below and find out which career works best for you.

It is one of those decisions that stick with us throughout our lives and has a really huge impact on our outlook towards life itself. It helps in shaping up the life that we want to create. Considering the heavyweight attached to this decision, it becomes rather imperative that deciding on a career option is not something that can be done half heartedly or under the influence of friends and family. It is something that requires thought and planning.

It is important to understand that choosing a career does not simply mean deciding upon the ultimate career profile which will guide you through the gates of success and fame; rather it means that a person should have the potential to grow with that career and achieve success through his/her decision.

That is why it is very important for every student to understand what is embodied within the word Career and style why a Career Test for career selection is important when tracing your path towards success and growth.

Every career option requires a particular aptitude combination that should match with the individual's potential ability to grow with that career.

Aptitude is basically defined as an innate, learned or acquired the ability of an individual to perform certain tasks. Career tests inculcate many factors like Numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning, abstract reasoning, speed, accuracy, and other such abilities.

Most commonly these tests would ask the student a question about their Skills, Values, Likes, Dislikes and their innate abilities. The test measures the strongest and the weakest areas in each realm of understanding and the innate psychometric ability that the student may possess. Usually, these tests involve the use of psychometric tests consisting of multiple choice questions, wherein a student has to select any one choice out of the given options.

Taking IDC’s online career test for your personal career assessment will help you to identify your strong and weak points. Career tests help you understand which type of career will be best suited for you according to your potential. For example, if your spatial aptitude is high you can opt for careers like Designing and creativity, Architecture etc.

If you have high aptitude in Numerical areas of understanding, careers like Finance and Management may be your cup of tea.

Interest v/s Aptitude

Many times people make a mistake while choosing their career according to their interests. It is very important to understand that interest and aptitude are two different things. In a nutshell, having an interest in a particular subject or career does not necessarily mean that an individual has the aptitude or potential to perform well in that particular area and achieve success.

For example, you may have an avid interest in flying an airplane, but it does not necessarily mean that you have the aptitude to also perform well in that particular career and achieve success within that field.

Hence, it becomes very important to choose a career in which you have both the necessary degrees of interest and potential in order to achieve success. Utilize the power of career assessment before you delve into a particular career option or career path. This is what will ensure that you grow and develop your abilities along through the career option that best suits the development of your career.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 10:05 am

People find their ways. You can study the "wrong" thing and do more than alright. Just keep moving forward.

Case study #1: After observing myself for 4 decades I can see that I am a Presenter of Technical Puzzles. This can be done in pretty much any career. In college I got an Engineering (technical) degree and did a bit of drama (presenter). Afterwards I fell into Tech/Utilities and found my way into a position that uses my strengths (NOT engineering, but aside it). So for my next "career"... ???! !! ! It's TBD, but coming soon. As some point I want to pursue Acting (present technical puzzles = CSI?).

Case study #2: My Aspie-like dentist went to school for accounting but the pure numbers didn't suit him. He switched to dentistry and did okay. Now (in his 50s?) he's found his niche, what REALLY fits him: in my terms - Technical Accounting, he's doing something related to accounting that requires the mastery of a profession (dentistry).

So go in one direction, or another direction - for all you know one or both will come around again some day.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 2:15 am

Holy crap, this is an old thread!

I ended up getting my degree in geography/urban planning, and minoring in geology.

I have also been self-studying various programming languages, and recently finished a data science online boot camp.