Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 9:31 am

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
however, i don't really like coffee too much. but also, a pill just doesn't hit me the same. does anyone know of an herbal tea or something i could try that has tons of caffeine in it???

The caffeine from tea comes from the tea leaf and herbal teas usually don't have any actual tea in them and thus no caffeine. Tea typically has less caffeine than coffee does. Usually black teas will have about half the caffeine and green teas around 1/4 that of coffee. White tea has even less I believe. For other sources of caffeine, you can also look for cocoa or dark chocolates and things like energy drinks that have guaranine, mateine, or theine. These are all synonyms for the chemical compound caffeine and just refer to the source of the caffeine.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2007, 9:33 am

I drink it whenever I work overtime to give me a jolt, its plain, but i cant drink hot fluids, i guess my mouth is sensitive. I used to hate coffie, only the past 2 years i started drinking and suddenly i enjoy!

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:02 am

I LOVE coffee. It's the main thing I drink. Black, and strong. I really like the taste of it, but I do well with all the caffeine, too. It doesn't really seem to affect me. I mostly like to drink things that are warm, unless it's really hot out. Cold drinks feel like they're scraping my throat all the way down.
I have a friend that swears caffeine calms her ADHD son down. She swears by it. The idea may not be all that far fetched.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 10:40 am

I hate the smell of coffee so I'm sure that I wouldn't like the taste. But I can't have caffeine anyway.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2007, 10:53 am

I've never really tried coffee, the closest I've had was one frozen capachino, which was kinda good, a little bitter for my taste though. I do like the smell of it, strangely enough.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 11:46 am

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
however, i don't really like coffee too much. but also, a pill just doesn't hit me the same. does anyone know of an herbal tea or something i could try that has tons of caffeine in it???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

I think this plant has a similar effect to coffee IIRC. (traditional Chinese/Indian 'tea' and cocoa have a different alkaloid profile which gives a different effect) Kola nuts (used in cola drinks) are probably similar to coffee, but i dont know offhand if that would be practical. You can buy Yerba_Mate tea-bags on the net i think.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:06 pm

Coffee used to be one of my obsessions. I love black coffee, especially if it's freshly roasted, from a small-batch roasting machine. (Any machine that roasts more than 10lbs at a time burns the beans on the outside, thereby destroying some of the flavor and decreasing the caffeine content.) I prefer beans from South America, light roast (=more caffeine!).

One summer, I read a big book about the history of coffee while working at a hotel desk. Occasionally, customers would ask if I was reading it for school. When I said no, they would laugh at me.

I can only drink coffee in small quantities these days. Otherwise, I suffer from anxiety. When I worked at a coffee shop, I would drink "rocket fuels" all day. A Rocket Fuel was a tall cup of coffee with four shots of espresso. I would also eat coffee beans.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:13 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Coffee used to be one of my obsessions. I love black coffee, especially if it's freshly roasted, from a small-batch roasting machine. (Any machine that roasts more than 10lbs at a time burns the beans on the outside, thereby destroying some of the flavor and decreasing the caffeine content.) I prefer beans from South America, light roast (=more caffeine!).

One summer, I read a big book about the history of coffee while working at a hotel desk. Occasionally, customers would ask if I was reading it for school. When I said no, they would laugh at me.

I can only drink coffee in small quantities these days. Otherwise, I suffer from anxiety. When I worked at a coffee shop, I would drink "rocket fuels" all day. A Rocket Fuel was a tall cup of coffee with four shots of espresso. I would also eat coffee beans.

Wow! I never thought that I'd find someone with a worse coffee addiction/obsession than me. Now I have. lol :)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 12:23 pm

I either have a really high tolerance to stimulants...or something...
I have a mixed reaction to coffee....
I love the taste of it and do use it in the morning to wake up, and also because it is part of a ritual and I am somehwat addicted to caffine....but it does not really wake me up...in fact, if I wake up too early and have insomnia, it will put me back to sleep....(that's te ADDer in me)....

BUT

If i were to take coffee before bed, I am sure it would have the opposite effect.

I am generally more focused and alert if I drink green tea, but i love the taste of coffee too much...and I can drink green tea any time of the day and not have it disturb my sleep.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2007, 1:12 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
i_Am_andaJoy wrote:

i'd REALLY like to know. (the boxes of tea in the store don't say.)

A Department of Nutritional Services report provides the following ranges of caffeine content for a cup of tea made with loose leaves:

Black Tea: 23 - 110 mg
Oolong Tea: 12 - 55 mg
Green Tea: 8 - 36 mg
White Tea: 6 – 25 mg

For more info on caffeine content of tea:

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2007, 1:15 pm

I love coffee, I'd drink it all day every day if I could. Plus, caffeine is the only thing which can get me to concentrate long enough to do my schoolwork although no matter what time of day I drink it it keeps me awake at night.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 2:00 pm

I love coffee but I've been wary of drinking a little too much of it and have recently taken to
sometimes drinking pepperment tea instead.It's purely herbal and is renowned for helping digestion.

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 3:57 pm

I hate both the taste and smell of coffee: it gives me a headache. However, I am very fond of tea, especially Lapsong.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 4:49 pm

I don't really drink coffee but i drink tea in da mornin n hot chocolate in da afternoon.

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2007, 5:12 pm

I don't consider myself a coffee addict, but I do have my morning coffee on my way to work - and usually another coffee at night with my dessert.

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 6:30 pm

I do not like the smell of Coffee so i have never drunk it but i might actually like Coffee if i tried it.