Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:10 pm

When I was at university I was taught that if two populations do not/cannot interbreed, then they are different species. But 5 mins on google & wiki shows that it's no-longer so clear cut these days...I would say we are on the way to speciation...homo sapien autisticus? any latin scholars like to check my declension? any zoologists like to check my hypothesis?

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:17 pm

Aspies, auties and NTs can still breed, so no, not yet.
And I doubt speciation will occur.
But I'm not very knowledgable on science

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Oct 2007, 3:18 pm

well... while I do not have those qualifications, I did study econogy breifly in collage, and must say having autism does not mean you are part of a sub species of human. Itll never happen.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:34 pm

ZARATHUSTRA wrote:
When I was at university I was taught that if two populations do not/cannot interbreed, then they are different species. But 5 mins on google & wiki shows that it's no-longer so clear cut these days...I would say we are on the way to speciation...homo sapien autisticus? any latin scholars like to check my declension? any zoologists like to check my hypothesis?

Who knows? I mean look at BIRDS! Some have coloring and features that seem very close to one another, and may be almost like a cross. Their song, or ritual, or even preference, might be such that they can't really mate, and they are considered another species, even though they really don't look like or want that species.

That is very much as we are! It is like selling to "techies" and "non techies" here. Techies want SPECS!(AKA FEATURES) Others want it spelled out(AKA BENEFITS). Computers are SUPPOSED to be sold to techies. I HATE them giving me the "benefits"!

The jerks at toshiba LIED to me, knowing FULL WELL I used their "wifi" LAN already and that I needed to use a special wireless WAN. They told me it had wireless connectivity compatible with my system, even after I spoke to them about it. BULL!! !! ! They can't know that anyway without knowing my system. I pushed them to tell me how to get the built in EVDO, they claimed to have builtin, to work, and they told me how to get the 802.11 to work. EVDO is not compatible with 802.11 AT ALL! They also told me that the expansion connector was PCMCIA when it was PCI EXPRESS. They document the truth, SUPPOSEDLY, INSIDE the box.(It used to be on the outside!)

Anyway, some just try to avoid FEATURES altogether.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:36 pm

If ASD is caused entirely by genetics, then it could hypothetically happen, far in the future. Today, many generations of NTs can produce someone with ASD, or vice versa. A species is defined by a long list of characteristics, both behavioral and physical. When two species interbreed, the offspring (if one can be produced) is a hybrid with characteristics of both species. Most hybrids produced by crossing two species are sterile (as in mules). The exception that comes to mind is canids and felids, many of which can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. If I'm correct, success of interspecies breeding depends on how recently they diverged and whether or not they share the same number of chromosomes, among other things. Anyway, people on the spectrum would have to look consistently different from NTs to be a different species. But maybe that will be the case in a few hundred thousand years.

PS--I'm not a professional zoologist; it's just an obsession.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:52 pm

Fingerprints and snowlfakes have something in common with humans and that is no 2 are alike. The biggest fallacy of our times is the classifications and labeling of human beings and then pitching one group against the other in battles of superiority vs inferiority. Yes we fall into subdivisions as in all of nature - there is hierchy. There's something called soul-groups where people of similar spiritual backrounds (roots) come from the *same* group. In spite of being from the same spiritual group as others, each one of us is made up ENTIRELY differently psychologically. So no 2 people will EVER be the same no matter how many traits they share, as there will never be an exact match of those shared. So in reply to your question, no because AS stems from human psychological disconnects (imho) and is not an issue of speciies.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:58 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
If ASD is caused entirely by genetics, then it could hypothetically happen, far in the future. Today, many generations of NTs can produce someone with ASD, or vice versa. A species is defined by a long list of characteristics, both behavioral and physical. When two species interbreed, the offspring (if one can be produced) is a hybrid with characteristics of both species. Most hybrids produced by crossing two species are sterile (as in mules). The exception that comes to mind is canids and felids, many of which can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. If I'm correct, success of interspecies breeding depends on how recently they diverged and whether or not they share the same number of chromosomes, among other things. Anyway, people on the spectrum would have to look consistently different from NTs to be a different species. But maybe that will be the case in a few hundred thousand years.

PS--I'm not a professional zoologist; it's just an obsession.

We ARE talking about really subtle things here though. I'm attracted to women, for example, and some things they do, that are apparently sub concious, seem to just strengthen that attraction. But I still seem to just not understand when they want to go farther. 8-( Every spring, I see the male robins on my lawn chirping out "HEY GALS, *******HERE I AM********"! They NEVER seem to give up. I even see them bash their chests in(Don't worry, they pull up before hitting the glass and I don't think any died.) trying to fight off the reflections in my windows they think are competitors. I am kind of jealous. It comes so simple to them. Then again, apparently the female robins are the ones that have the really strong drives to hunt out the males.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 8:34 pm

My husband found a compelling article about Neanderthal genes that got mixed with human genes. It said that some autistic traits are Neanderthal traits. I need to do a search and find that article.

spazmaticstitch
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2007, 8:43 pm

I'm not human at all

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 8:50 pm

I'd like to think I'm some sort of advanced plant species. :)

But I'm human... just a weird one.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 9:01 pm

We're just humans whose brains are wired differently.

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2007, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Are we a DIFFERENT SPECIES of human?

No. Don't be a git.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 9:56 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

Aye.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 10:46 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

that is the way i understand it. just a part of who we are.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 12:02 am

From a strict biological sense, a different species is genetically different and cannot reproduce except with its own species. When AS people can only reproduce amongst themselves they will be a different species. At the moment AS people may find themselves attracted only to their own mental types and over time may evolve the gene differences to become a different species. But not yet.

RedMageIngus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2007, 12:05 am

IdahoRose wrote:

Quote FTW.