The (Unoffensive) Christianity vs. Islam thread

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chuchulainn
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2007, 12:25 pm

Come on Red Hamrasam, give me your best shot.

*puts up his fists*

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 12:56 pm

Why fight when both religions overflow with love for all mankind?

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2007, 2:45 pm

IMO, it makes no sense to discuss "Christianity" and "Islam" as if they were monolithic categories. As a religious liberal or radical, I find that I have more in common with religious liberals or radicals in other religious categories (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.) than I do with religious traditionalists or conservatives in my own category.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2007, 3:36 pm

Sand wrote:

This is like debating over whether cancer or AIDs has been most beneficial to humanity.

egodeus59
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2007, 5:53 pm

The problem with most religions isn't the religion itself, its what people do with the religion which causes all the problems.

As for AIDS and cancer in a way it is possible to help humanity by keeping the population down and promoting better genes to be passed , but that's besides the point.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 6:48 pm

Sand wrote:
both religions overflow with love for all mankind?

There is no such proof.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 6:57 pm

username88 wrote:
Sand wrote:

There is no such proof.

well, there are some christian organizations that do humanitarian stuff, and they try to convert those they help within their belief system.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 7:04 pm

nominalist wrote:
IMO, it makes no sense to discuss "Christianity" and "Islam" as if they were monolithic categories. As a religious liberal or radical, I find that I have more in common with religious liberals or radicals in other religious categories (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.) than I do with religious traditionalists or conservatives in my own category.

Yes, you have a good point, as this question may seem to be about western christianity versus middle east islam to most people, without taking into consideration the difference that may exist between western islam from the other, as well as the different denominations from both religions.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 7:13 pm

flange wrote:
greenblue wrote:
username88 wrote:
Sand wrote:

There is no such proof.

well, there are some christian organizations that do humanitarian stuff, and they try to convert those they help within their belief system.

Is it the religion doing good, or the people? can't people do good without a religion, or are they doing good because they are told they should when they actually dont give a sh**, except for themselves and getting into heaven?

Well, many people probably believe they are gaining heaven for doing this, at least is some kind of motivation, but it would be better if we wouldn't need religion for that kind of stuff and motivation, and for everything else.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2007, 6:57 am

greenblue wrote:
Yes, you have a good point, as this question may seem to be about western christianity versus middle east islam to most people, without taking into consideration the difference that may exist between western islam from the other, as well as the different denominations from both religions.

The country with the largest Muslim population is Indonesia, and it is neither in the West nor in the Middle East. It is in Southeast Asia. The vast majority of Indonesian Muslims are moderate or secular.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 10:26 am

suposidly the koran has some kindof scientific proof in it, while the new testement is full of condradictions. like jesus heratige, it doesnt match up or something. you know for someone that suposidly spoke and everything came into existance, why didnt he just write the bible himself?

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2007, 10:31 am

richardbenson wrote:
suposidly the koran has some kindof scientific proof in it, while the new testement is full of condradictions. like jesus heratige, it doesnt match up or something. you know for someone that suposidly spoke and everything came into existance, why didnt he just write the bible himself?

No, I read the Quran, and the Bible, and most religious texts.... None of them have any scientific content whatsoever. But that doesn't mean that many believers will try to find some due to its ambiguity and metaphorical nature. Those books just aren't meant to answer the kinds of questions that science can.

Religion: A good way to demonstrate our ability to believe things that just aren't so.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 10:33 am

yeah i know brah, you can pretty much say anything and see anything in it really, i think if god was so concernd with people getting into heaven he would have made shure there was undeniable proof, or a religious text that made sence.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:53 am

Joybob wrote:
Sand wrote:

This is like debating over whether cancer or AIDs has been most beneficial to humanity.

:lol:

Cholera or the Plague? Which would you like...

kate-silverton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2007, 11:39 am

richardbenson wrote:
yeah i know brah, you can pretty much say anything and see anything in it really, i think if god was so concernd with people getting into heaven he would have made shure there was undeniable proof, or a religious text that made sence.

the bible exists undeniably, is that not proof enough?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 11:51 am

not for me it isnt. im too much of a logical thinker, the bible was written by man. i guess you could say it was divinly insirped but then my logic gets in the way again. also would the creator of the universe make contradictions in his word? thats how i know it was written my man and not divinly inspired, i can give you some examples in a minute i just dont know them off the top of my head