Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Blackmantis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2007, 6:46 am

Hi there.

Could those with Aspergers (who have motor dysfunction symptoms) please reassure me that it IS hard to hold a camera still and get perfectly sharp shots.

gitchel
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2007, 7:47 am

Well, even without motor dysfunction, it's hard. It makes a big difference what kind of camera, how it's setup (if that kind of camera), what kind of picture you're making, and the circumstances you're dealing with.

I have two tripods and a walking stick/monopod. I prop my camera on top of things, and up against things. I try to shoot in the best light, and I shoot at least three shot bursts every time I have any doubt. (Digital cameras rule!) In short, I have a lot invested in making it look like I never shake ;-)

Yes. It is hard. But it makes us tough, eh? ;-)

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

Blackmantis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2007, 8:02 am

Yep! You bet. We have to try twice as hard to achieve some things that a non-Aspergers person can do, so we're harder workers in that aspect.

whitbywoof
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2007, 9:32 am

I'm really into photography at the moment. I'm OK with my 18/55mm lens, but do have problems when I'm using my 300mm. I'm also left-handed and, like most things, cameras are right-handed designed, so this doesn't help. I want to get a 500mm lens, but considering the expense and the difficulty I have with the 300mm, I'm not sure I will ever make the purchase.

RB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2007, 9:43 am

My dad gave me a camera because he thought it would get me out and about seeing things (I'm not overly interested or am worried I'll drop it) but when I do use it I usually will get maybe 1 in 20 shots that isn't increadibly blurry, I just can't keep my hands stable.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 10:57 am

Bump up the film ISO and shutter speed. Carry an extra sun for better illumination. This will reduce the blur.

I am looking into a new camera ... digital image stabilization is one feature that is important.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 11:22 am

I have motor dysfunction symptoms, but with practice, I have learned to hold a camera pretty steady. I've developed a certain kind of concentration that lets me overcome my clumsiness temporarily and situationally. I can only apply it when creativity is involved, for breif periods of time. So I think it's possible to get better at it, if you keep trying.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 1:27 pm

I have had this pproblem as well...even with built in stablelizer,I can have fuzzy pics.One thing that helps a bit,if it isnt an action shot,is using my own body to "rest" my elbows on as a stabelizer.Instead of holding your arms,so that elbows stick out,bring them closer to your body(so that arms are against you sides.Hope that makes sense.It's not perfect but does help me a little.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/