Aide sentenced in autistic boy's death

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 3:27 pm

Aide sentenced in autistic boy's death
ALBANY, NY - A former state health aide was sentenced Friday to six months in jail and five years of probation for the death of a 13-year-old autistic boy. ... view article

this is frieking unbeliavable, only 6 months and five years of probation for a death.. what do others think?

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 3:31 pm

That's horrendous.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2007, 3:39 pm

Sounds like it may have been an accident... At least I hope so. Still, it's a ridiculously short sentence.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2007, 5:21 pm

Goche21 wrote:
Sounds like it may have been an accident... At least I hope so. Still, it's a ridiculously short sentence.

One would, indeed, hope that it was an accident; unfortunately, it doesn't sound like that was the case. They continued to run errands, leaving him in the car unresponsive, AFTER he'd stopped breathing and DID NOT take him anywhere for medical help? That part, I'm afraid, was no accident. That is inexcusable, unbelievable criminal negligence. If I were the kid's parents, you'd better believe I'd be raising holy you-know-what right now. My Aspie son is sixteen and stronger than anyone else now, but I've had to deal with overzealous, ignorant, negligent people in his life, and it wasn't pretty. I never, ever put up with people giving him any crap because he was an Aspie. And I never will.

It also sounds like there needs to be better training and knowledge on the part of those, such as these aides, who are charged with the care of children and teens and adults with these kinds of conditions. "Acting up" is nothing new for them, heck, my son's had plenty of meltdowns I've had to deal with. You'd think they'd train people who have to work with them a little better.

FAAAS is probably not at all upset, I'll bet.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 7:18 pm

Things sure haven't changed much, over the past 500 years. :roll: