Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 1:58 am

I bought a punching bag last night. :D It's one of those small bags at the top of an adjustable pole - w/spring & weight at the bottom. I had considered getting a speed-bag in the past, but the shear joy of punching something & having it bend all they way backwards like this just felt so good. Friday I had taken my sister home after a visit to my house, just outside her apartment was one of these punching bags. It was left in a little hidden alcove - you would have to walk to their end of the hallway to see it. Their apartment next door leaves it out so they can use it too. Yesterday I was leaving Bed Bath & Beyond & a little boy was holding the box of one of these things at the check out. I thought that was an uncanny sign. I've never seen this type of punching bag before yet suddenly I see two in two days. So I bought one... 8) If it survives my three big dogs that will be saying something. But while it lasts it's great fun! Instead of bottling up stress I now have an outlet that doesn't make me feel guilty.

Anyone else enjoy a good workout with a punching bag?

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Oct 2007, 2:40 am

Heh, ya, I enjoyed using a punchingbag whenever I had access to one. Unfortunatly I did not have the gloves so after hitting it a bit my knuckles got chapped up, hehehe.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 2:40 am

Damn, I would love to have a good punching bag, but I dont think it would last long with me using a hammer or sword on it sometimes.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Oct 2007, 3:18 am

I used to have a punching bag...it was very useful when I wanted to release anger.

But my dog ripped it so I had to throw it away :L

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2007, 2:15 pm

I still have a punching bag, but I did not install it since I moved to my new appartment. I was learning karate when I got it. At age 16 I was about 130 lbs, while some of my friends were 160-180 lbs hockey players. I'd ask them to hit my punching bag with their hardest punch, and then demonstrated my elbow hit was WAY stronger.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 11:10 pm

I wanna get one... to practise punching people in case I have to defend myself!

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 12:25 am

I have one, that's actually an old duffel bag that I stuffed with dropcloths. I mostly use it for practicing sword fighting techniques. Since I never use live steel, it's lasted for a little while.

toothepaste
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2007, 1:16 am

i use my muffins as punching bags.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2007, 7:11 am

I prefer wall bags like these

You can fill them with mung beans, marbles, ball bearings, etc. For Wing Chun iron fist training.

Or just punching air. In a way punching air is tricky to conserve energy. There is always a temptation to over extend or drop your arms when you get tired.

You can start out doing chain punches

20x1
20x3
20x5
20x7
20x10<-don't ask me why it is not 9

See how far you can go.

porvenir
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Oct 2007, 11:47 am

I envy you! My ceiling and walls are not very reliable so I bought some dumbbells to lift and punch the air with. It is really a stress reliever.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 12:08 am

Sounds more like a tether ball. You punch it once and then it flies around and smacks into the back of your head, right?

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 3:37 am

Flismflop wrote:
Sounds more like a tether ball. You punch it once and then it flies around and smacks into the back of your head, right?

:lol:

Nope, it's this one:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=14214429

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 3:28 pm

When I went to stay at my aunt's house, I slept in my cousin's room (he wasn't there). He has a punching bag. I tried punching it - just for fun. I will NEVER be a boxer, fun even for amatuers though. :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 5:11 pm

A punching bag might be rather useful for those times when I JUST WANT TO HIT SOMETHING!! :lol: Because I'd never raise a fist in anger to a fellow human being or any creature... but I will hit walls and that... a punching bag would be better for my knuckles. :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 6:12 pm

I prefer stuffed animals. I can hug them. :cheers:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 6:17 pm

A punching bag sounds like fun.